Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern coyotes, coywolves, what are they?
So, it's past midnight and I just got close to a big predator outside.

One of my dogs was barking at something out the window. I went outside, and bam, there's a big creature of the night staring at me under the streetlight.

It took me a while to piece what it was. It was so big, I kept on thinking if it it was a canine, it'd have to be a wolf because it was too big to be a fox or coyote. After I went back inside, I googled away. I guess coyotes in the northeast are part wolf or something, making them bigger than what people normally think of when they think of coyotes.

It was probably the biggest coyote I've ever seen. Usually I just hear them howling in the distance.

I'm a little bit confused on the differences between the types. When I normally think of "coywolf," I think of a wolf and a coyote having a baby together, but a lot of sources online said coywolf is interchangeable with Eastern Coyotes, and that the coyotes in the northeast came from a hybridization of wolves and coyotes a long time ago, and that they are still evolving. It's confusing to think of how there are "coywolves" in the northeast but no wolves.

It was very beautiful up close. Their howling can be a lot spookier than your standard wolf howl. They sometimes wake me up at night if I have my window open. If anyone knows anything, feel free to share.

Messages In This Thread
Eastern coyotes, coywolves, what are they? - by Chase - 07-20-2021, 05:42 AM