Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting A LGBTQ+ Employee Resource Group
I came across this on Mastodon (it is an open source social network, kind of feels like Twitter) and today happens to be Coming Out Day and I thought I would share this because I think we ALL should feel comfortable at the workplace and this can be a good way to create resources for LGBTQ+ folks at your workplace...

You can see the original post here:
https://social.librem.one/@jeremiahlee/1...5272038412

Link to the author's blog...
https://www.jeremiahlee.com/posts/lgbtq-erg/

Quote:When the California Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in 2008, my boyfriend of 5 years and I decided to get married. The CEO of the company I worked at saw a social media post about my upcoming wedding. He started coming by my desk on a regular basis, interrupting my work with increasingly aggressive conversation.

I can't think of much else that would make my blood boil, even in 2008, I find that insane that someone would object to someone else's life to do this...

Quote:...He said someone who did not believe in his god could not be a moral person because they lacked a moral rudder. He said all of these things in an open floorplan office while my dumbstruck coworkers remained silent until he left.

Quote:One day, I returned from lunch to find tens of Facebook notifications. The CEO had gotten into a fight with my college friends on my Facebook profile. I read the comments and started to tremble. I walked into my manager’s office, closed the door, and showed him my Facebook profile as I began to cry uncontrollably.

Having just graduated from college into the Great Recession, I needed this job. I was great at my job. But the CEO had brought my personal life into the workplace and repeated the same dehumanizing arguments my own religious family had used to decline my wedding invitation. The head of HR persuaded me to not file a discrimination complaint against the CEO by falsely claiming I would need a lawyer, which I could not afford. Despite strong performance reviews and assignment to a critical project for the company, I was part of a tiny layoff a few months later.

All I can say is the author has more self-control than I do. I would be outside in the parking lot going full on "Towanda" if you get the reference to Fried Green Tomatoes.

Anyway, do check out and read the rest of the article and he does provide a charter template to help get you started with a ERG at your workplace. It is something to consider as discrimination against LGBTQ+ people still happens quite a lot today even in the workplace even at more liberal institutions.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • ceez

Messages In This Thread
Starting A LGBTQ+ Employee Resource Group - by InbetweenDreams - 10-11-2021, 01:32 PM