Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education is the key?
I happen to have a little faith in education. Present young people with facts and give them the opportunity for discussion. Even better follow it up with a whole policy and action. Two news stories today struck me as contrasting approaches to the effectiveness of education. I wonder if either of them is not really a story at all?

Quote:The Safe Space programme will seek financial support from Europe, as well as match-funding contribution from the Welsh education sector, in order to deliver activities aimed at reducing the instances of homophobic, biphobic, and transphobic bullying and improving the equality for students and adults in the Welsh education system.

It is pioneered by the Wales LGBT Excellence Centre whose chief executive Federico Podeschi says: “Safe Space was already piloted with over 1500 students receiving incredible feedback and demonstrating a 90% decrease in instances of homophobic bullying in the schools that participated in the pilot.

“This is a tremendous achievement which proves that education is key to stamp out bullying in our school and deliver sexual orientation and gender identity equality for future generations." more
In the other a Tory (naturally) city counsellor in Bristol criticised Stonewall's work in schools (specifically Sir Ian McKellen's schools' visits to two schools ) saying that
Quote:if one single child ends up being bullied who wasn't bullied before because of this, then it will mean to say that this hasn't worked. more
Apart from the obvious difficulty of determining why people have been bullied, I would have thought that getting kids talking about the issues and the existence of verifiable evidence of a decline in incidences of homophobic bullying would be quite an important consideration in deciding whether the programme has worked or not.

How would you have felt about having Magneto or Gandalf come into your school? Would it have made life more difficult for you?

Messages In This Thread
Education is the key? - by marshlander - 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Education is the key? - by OrphanPip - 11-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Education is the key? - by marshlander - 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Education is the key? - by marshlander - 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Education is the key? - by The Virgin - 01-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Education is the key? - by Cardiganwearer - 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM