GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat

Go Back   GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat > Entertainment > Books

Unread 16th April 2017   #1111
Confuzzled4
Immortal

Single Gay Man
in Marlboro (USA)

My Mood: Sad

Does a textbook count? It's taken away from my leisurely reading.
Confuzzled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16th April 2017   #1112
himself
Beyond Godlike

Single Gay Man
in There (UK - Northern Ireland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled4 View Post
Does a textbook count? It's taken away from my leisurely reading.
What textbook?
himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16th April 2017   #1113
Confuzzled4
Immortal

Single Gay Man
in Marlboro (USA)

My Mood: Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by himself View Post
What textbook?
One on probability. Not that big but still
Confuzzled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17th April 2017   #1114
himself
Beyond Godlike

Single Gay Man
in There (UK - Northern Ireland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled4 View Post
One on probability. Not that big but still
I asked because I knew you are a physics graduate. I will soon have a degree in physics.

I haven't encountered much probability theory / statistics at university. It's drip fed to us when we need it, e.g., in information theory, statistical mechanics. When I get time, I plan on reading Cambridge University lecture notes on probability. I like lecture notes because someone's done the hard part for you. Someone else has read the main textbooks and taken just the relevant parts, out. Then, if you want to know more, you can look at the textbook. The thing I dislike about actual, physical textbooks is that you can't press ctrl-F to find what you want.
himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17th April 2017   #1115
Emy
Veteran

Single Gay Woman
in Vancouver (Canada)

The prisoner of Tehran
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19th April 2017   #1116
Emy
Veteran

Single Gay Woman
in Vancouver (Canada)

last month I read Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children
Emy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20th April 2017   #1117
meridannight
John Wick

Single Gay Man
in Age: 33 (Italy)

My Mood: Sneaky

Still reading this one:

I'm about half-way through, and it's not half-bad. He's a good writer. But although he makes sense with a lot of things, his experience is not really something I can relate to much. I had it different.

This is a book and experience that would appeal to @Emiliano.
Unread 20th April 2017   #1118
Moseman

Single Gay Man
in New york (USA)

My Mood: Angry

Patti Smith, m train
Moseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24th April 2017   #1119
Dan1980
Dan The Man

Single Gay Man
in Wrexham (UK - Wales)

My Mood: Breezy

I am Pilgrm by Terry Hayes
Unread 24th April 2017   #1120
princealbertofb
King of the Word???

Gay Man in a Monogamous Gay Relationship
in Near Geneva (Switzerland) (France)

En Finir Avec Eddy Bellegueule by Edouard Louis.

A radio show actually brought his name up and he was explaining being gay in a very working class background in the north of France and this is very bleak reading indeed, but I think it'll end in something better. A sort of rebirth.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pdjm8 Front Row on BBC Radio Four, has this interview.

I believe André Téchiné's recent (and excellent) film Quand On A 17 Ans (Being Seventeen) is partly based on this book.
princealbertofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1st May 2017   #1121
meridannight
John Wick

Single Gay Man

I am now finally reading this book, after a long time of it just sitting on my to-do list:

And I have to thank @Emiliano, for recommending it to me. Yeah, I agree with what's in here. I have broadly the same understanding and appreciation of masculinity. And I am now realizing, thanks to this book, what damage feminism has done to men and masculinity. Although feminist ideals can never destroy masculinity -- its meaning and power are rooted in the physical experience of being a man, and, thus, indestructible -- it is not a force of good in our society at all. I realize now that this is part of the reason of my hatred of women. I have always been subconsciously aware of this negative effect feminism plays in our world, and I understand now how it also drives (at least partly, if not wholly) my hatred for women in general. For how they completely misapprehend (truthfully, they can never understand it) and erode the nature of men. I was never able to connect the two before. I despise what women collectively have done and do to men and masculinity. **

Donovan is also right about how the modern gay culture creates a divide between gay men and straight men. That is one of the things I've always found utterly sad. Men are men, whether they like men or women, and there is no reason for such separation of their nature. His criticism of the gay culture is not unfounded.

I also found it very interesting how he explained that gay men being perceived more effeminate in general in modern times can be traced back to Justinian and the fact that under his rule the distinction between active and passive sodomy ceased to have a meaning in punishments for it. That is a very interesting and an ingenious deduction to arrive at.

** (Just for clarification, this is coming from me and not Donovan. Donovan is probably not a misogynist like I am, and my such comments shouldn't reflect on the book).
Unread 1st May 2017   #1122
TigerLover
Godlike

Single Bi Man
in Coventry (UK - England)

My Mood: Amused

A

Fascinating book with some very interesting insight into how humanities elite* think and train.

*It's me calling them that Hadfield comes across as quite humble.
TigerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3rd May 2017   #1123
MHJG
Insane Poster

Single Gay Man
in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

My Mood: Inspired

IPA Made Easy
A guidebook for the international phonetic alphabet haha...
Hope it would be helpful to learn better English and German.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MHJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3rd May 2017   #1124
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in New York City (USA)

My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridannight View Post
** (Just for clarification, this is coming from me and not Donovan. Donovan is probably not a misogynist like I am, and my such comments shouldn't reflect on the book).
Donovan is a misogynist, and he has ties with the alt right and white nationalists. Your timing on reading this book is kind of funny, right before I saw you posted this, I'd actually read this article with Donovan:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/jack...alt-right.html

My experience reading Androphilia was a lot like my experience reading Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver. They are both interesting books that caused me to view things from a different perspective. They clarified some ideas I'd had, offered fascinating explanations for things, and really just opened my eyes to outside views i hadn't come across before.

I didn't agree with all of the points made in either book, I was at times made very uncomfortable by both books, and I don't particularly like the men who authored either one, but both did something very valuable for me and how I perceive things. Those two books are the ones i recommend the most.

I'm reading a book about South Africa now.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3rd May 2017   #1125
meridannight
John Wick

Single Gay Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Donovan is a misogynist, and he has ties with the alt right and white nationalists. Your timing on reading this book is kind of funny, right before I saw you posted this, I'd actually read this article with Donovan:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/jack...alt-right.html

My experience reading Androphilia was a lot like my experience reading Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver. They are both interesting books that caused me to view things from a different perspective. They clarified some ideas I'd had, offered fascinating explanations for things, and really just opened my eyes to outside views i hadn't come across before.

I didn't agree with all of the points made in either book, I was at times made very uncomfortable by both books, and I don't particularly like the men who authored either one, but both did something very valuable for me and how I perceive things. Those two books are the ones i recommend the most.

I had to look up what alt-right means. I still don't understand it. That seems a confusing incoherent mess to me. The stuff about the neopaganism, etc, that's just nonsense. That is repulsive, and doesn't reflect well on him.

Even I don't agree with everything said in Androphilia. I also think he generalizes on gay men a lot, to a point I'm not sure holds. What he says about gay men, I'm sure there are a number of gay men on whom it holds true, there's likely even a large number of such gay men. But I wouldn't generalize past an inconclusive indeterminable fraction of the gay men in that respect.

Also, I never had a 'reversal' of my character/behavior, like he did. I've always been this way, i.e. had these standards on masculinity as he does. I grew up among men like that (not like Donovan, no, but like men he talks about in his book. Men who had such a character and expression of masculinity). I don't have a history of flamboyance or drag, like Donovan does. In my opinion, such reversals are a bit questionable, at best. I don't think a person can really do a 180. Either before or after the ''change'' had to be false.

Be that as it is, however anti-sympathetic a character Donovan comes across, he is right about a number of things. For example, the things he says about victimization within the gay community, that is true. A lot of people, and the community in general have a tendency for that, when there is no need or point to express yourself in those terms.

He is also very right that liking other men does not make a man effeminate. I myself have always thought that men who like other men are, if anything, more masculine, because they like men -- the representatives of masculinity itself. The reverse doesn't make sense to me.

He is right about a lot of things. But the means through which he tries to achieve these ideas/ideals/etc, that is not right.

GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat > Entertainment > Books

Tags
book, reading