GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat

Go Back   GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat > People > Interests > Politics / Activism

Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in Brooklyn (USA)

My Mood: Tired
Default News Sources

Inspired by another thread - in this time of fake news and alternative facts - where do you get your news? Any especially good or interesting news sources that you recommend for others to check out?

Feel free to include physical papers, tv channels, online news, podcasts, radio stations, magazines, anywhere that you go to inform yourself.

And just for fun, if you feel like it, include one source that you'd never trust or would warn others against.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #2
InbetweenDreams
54-6f-20-6c-6f-76-65

Single Gay Man
in - (USA)

I usually don't read too much into the news but when I do watch news it's typically CBSN, mostly because I don't have cable or satelite and CBSN streams for free.

When I come across some questionable stuff and most everything is twisted and dumbed down. I google it and try to look at different sources, of course there's always chance that google's search results can be skewed to put things in different spots. I mean really though, we're at the mercy of the establishment of media companies to put truthful articles and information. I mean very very few people are going to "C-SPAN" style and read the text of the bill being passed and really know without a shadow of a doubt anything.

If it is radio and I have a choice NPR seems alright, there's a couple NPR stations I can pick up but not the best coverage here in the mountains and most of the FM translators are fairly low powered where the Atlanta stations can be heard up here reasonably well but they're 100 kW as opposed to a few hundred watts.

Otherwise I try not to stick my nose into the news so much as most things in the news just piss me off and and I don't like being upset over shit I can't control...which is pretty much everything if you think about it...
InbetweenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #3
SilverBullet
Godlike

Single Gay Man
in ... (USA)

My Mood: Cold

https://news.google.com/

one stop shop, access to to local, regional, global news/weather.
categorized with usefull filters like "technology" "Science" etc, access to main email, and the best search engine on the planet .

They also dont do the crap of other places IE (*Sponsored adds like the following) "Guy found house in woods you wont believe what happens next!"
which turns out to be a slideshow with 6 words per page, advertisement everywhere and when you get to the end there exist no substance.
@Emiliano
What about yours?
Sometimes darkness can show you the light
" ~Disturbed
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in Brooklyn (USA)

I'll contribute to my own thread.

I don't usually read newspapers or magazines, but I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot of online news.

The news related podcasts/radio shows I've been listening to lately are:
WNYC's On The Media
WNYC's Indivisible
Futuro Media Group's In The Thick
Vox's The Weeds
The Washington Post's Can He Do That?/
Buzz Feed's See Something, Say Something
The New York Times' The Run Up
The NY Times' The Daily
The NY Times' Still Processing
NPR's Latino USA
Slate's Trumpcast
Slate's Political Gabfest
Jacobin Mag's Jacobin Radio
BBC's Global News Podcast
BBC's The Documentary

Even though it's ended, this was one of my favorites: (surprise, surprise)
Panapoly's Our National Conversation About Conversations About Race

The sites I read the news on are:
The New York Times
The Washington Post
Slate
Mother Jones
Politifact/
BBC
Reuters
Al Jazeera

I studied German in school, so more to just keep up on my German, I read:
Der Spiegel
Deutsche Welle

And to keep myself aware of the other side of things, a few times a week I usually check:
Fox News
The National Review
Info Wars

And now I've started paying attention to this one too:
Breitbart

In my defense, I spend a lot of time commuting in the subway.

I dont have a "you have to check this out" or a "don't trust this one" source to offer. I mainly included that because I'm curious what other people think.
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #5
InbetweenDreams
54-6f-20-6c-6f-76-65

Single Gay Man
in - (USA)

One thing that jumped out was Info Wars, holy shit Alex Jones is a dam nutter... I mean I'm sure you see that but what's crazier are the people who blindly trust him...
InbetweenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in Brooklyn (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InbetweenDreams View Post
One thing that jumped out was Info Wars, holy shit Alex Jones is a dam nutter... I mean I'm sure you see that but what's crazier are the people who blindly trust him...
Like I said, I read it to see what else is being said out there. It's pretty interesting what different sources report on, what they prioritize, what they omit. Conservative vs Liberal media, and also American vs International news. That in itself is worth looking at different sources, just seeing what is deemed the important news and what isn't.

Like for example, it was only through Al Jazeera that I found out there is an ethnic cleansing taking place in Myanmar right now. It's starting to get a little more attention now but still, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.
Thanking Emiliano for his/her post...
InbetweenDreams (2 Weeks Ago)
Unread 6 Days Ago   #7
NativeSon
Beyond Godlike

Single Curious Man
in Bespin (USA)

My Mood: Brooding

Online, NYT is my go-to. My local NPR member station is what I listen to.

There's so much going on in the news right now. I am noting how all the election-time ethics crusaders have suddenly gone silent. Fascinating.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Days Ago   #8
deephiance
Unstoppable

Single Gay Man
in Gold Coast (Australia)

My Mood: Relaxed

Lou Reed once said 'Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see'

No News source is reliable when there are only a handful of people that own all media sources.

Independent news reeks too much of personal opinion and 'alternate facts'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deephiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanking deephiance for his/her post...
InbetweenDreams (5 Days Ago), kindy64 (1 Day Ago), Zen (2 Days Ago)
Unread 5 Days Ago   #9
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in Brooklyn (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon View Post
Online, NYT is my go-to. My local NPR member station is what I listen to.

There's so much going on in the news right now. I am noting how all the election-time ethics crusaders have suddenly gone silent. Fascinating.
Yeah I'm noticing that too.
Thanking Emiliano for his/her post...
NativeSon (3 Days Ago)
Unread 3 Days Ago   #10
NativeSon
Beyond Godlike

Single Curious Man
in Bespin (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephiance View Post
Lou Reed once said 'Believe none of what you hear and half what you see'

No News source is reliable when there are only a handful of people that own all media sources.

Independent news reeks too much of personal opinion and 'alternate facts'
I rarely read opinion pieces and there's no such thing as "alternative facts."

I understand what you're saying, and I agree to a certain point, but what would be the solution? Just ignore all news and media?

I feel I can absorb enough of what is presented to me to take away a fairly reasonable idea of to what I should pay attention.

Thank you.
Thanking NativeSon for his/her post...
deephiance (2 Days Ago)
Unread 2 Days Ago   #11
deephiance
Unstoppable

Single Gay Man
in Gold Coast (Australia)

My Mood: Relaxed

'Alternate facts' was a very tongue in cheek comment, perhaps a pot shot at the media.

There are facts that are actually facts and reported in the media, an example, Trump (or Trumpy what ever tickles your pickle )is the President of the USA...but was he 'elected' or was he 'selected'?

The fact is there are terrorist, terrorism and acts of terror, but who is actually responsible for that?

BUT...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deephiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanking deephiance for his/her post...
Pix (2 Days Ago), princealbertofb (1 Day Ago)
Unread 2 Days Ago   #12
Zen
Veteran

Bi Man in a Monogamous Straight Relationship
in South West England (UK - England)

My Mood: Blah

It's always good to mix up media resources. Due to the propaganda factor, Russia Today usually gives some interesting stories on the UK which the BBC omit! So it's good to consider 'what's the agenda behind this story?' Etc.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Days Ago   #13
Emiliano

Single Gay Man
in Brooklyn (USA)

I am very troubled by Trumps attempts to delegitimize the press. I agree that we should always be using our critical thinking, and to mix up our sources, especially reading the international press.

But if we were to believe him and all his fake news, the media is the enemy of the American people, all negative polls are fake bullshit, then we might as well put the crown on his head ourselves. Notice how he attacks the media after they question him, or confront him about lies and the lies of the people working on his behalf. He is trying to silence and delegitimize his critics, just like how he speaks about the judicial branch, already blaming any future terrorist attacks on them.

It's absurd to me that this administration has any credibility after all of the lies they've told in THE ONE MONTH he's been president. The amount of total bullshit that the people of this country have accepted from Trump is both mind blowing and heart breaking.

I thought I was angry and had lost faith in the people of this country when he was elected.... that's nothing compared to how I feel now that I'm watching people just go along with this. Like I said... it's very troubling to me.
Unread 2 Days Ago   #14
Zen
Veteran

Bi Man in a Monogamous Straight Relationship
in South West England (UK - England)

My Mood: Blah

Trump was able to feed off of a general sense that "things aren't good " and people maybe rushed to vote him in with the hope of change. A similar debate is happening in the UK where it is being argued that many people had been misled on what 'Brexit' meant in practice. Trump is a businessman and not a politician, so he comes across like the drunk guy in a pub that is going to put the world to rights by blaming other people for his problems. Not being a politician he doesn't have the same restraint as most 'populist' politicians. I think he is going to be more of a frightening global prospect than Bush. Interesting times ahead!
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Hours Ago   #15
NativeSon
Beyond Godlike

Single Curious Man
in Bespin (USA)

Quote:
'Alternate facts' was a very tongue in cheek comment, perhaps a pot shot at the media.
Hmm.

Quote:
There are facts that are actually facts and reported in the media, an example, Trump (or Trumpy what ever tickles your pickle )is the President of the USA...but was he 'elected' or was he 'selected'
Are these not synonyms? I can only guess as to what you might be suggesting.

Quote:
The fact is there are terrorist, terrorism and acts of terror, but who is actually responsible for that?
Erm, terrorists?

Quote:
BUT...
You're saying...uh...what exactly are you saying here?

GaySpeak Gay Forums and Chat > People > Interests > Politics / Activism

Tags
news, sources