Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New (Question on Faith and Homosexuality, the relationship between the two)
marshlander Wrote:I disagree very strongly with this, CardShark! But then you knew I would Wink

One does not need a belief in something that cannot be proven to have a reason for life! That is as outrageous as some might consider my next sentence! On the contrary, perhaps those who need to believe in something that does not exist are missing some pretty fundamental connections with the world!

The link between lack of a formal belief system and Japanese suicide rates is tenuous (as in clutching at straws kind of tenuous). I think the pressure to conform and to succeed may have a little to do with it too. There are also cultural aspects of life in Japan, which may place suicide in a different context ... I'm out of my depth here, but I'd certainly want to check out all sorts of other things before making such assertions.

I could turn this reply into another marshlander essay. Consider yourself lucky!!!
Japan does actually have a formal belief system (Shinto) which was, until the end of the war, enforced by law on the populous and these days both Shinto and Buddhism are very popular, with many Japanese people subscribing to both as they are seen as complimentary.

In regards to my last post, I looked up Lithuania's religious status, and only 12% of the population claim to be Atheist, a low figure for Europe.

Messages In This Thread
New (Question on Faith and Homosexuality, the relationship between the two) - by Ralwatt - 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM