Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New (Question on Faith and Homosexuality, the relationship between the two)
fredv3b Wrote:My point was that the belief that everything in the Old Testament still holds true leads to some absurd conclusions for the great majority of people that regard themselves as Christian. They all believe that the coming of Jesus Christ really changed things, and that God gave them a new law to live by. There is certainly debate about what parts of the Old Testament still hold true and which do not.

I didn't say he nullified everything, but never mind. To whom is it insensitive? You may regard it as wishy-washy but as I said above Christians believe that the teachings of Jesus Christ really did change the rules.

I accept that in Romans there is the clearest statement within the Bible that homosexuality is sinful. However I do not recognise the final part of your quote. Here is what the online King James Bible gives for Romans 1:23-28

The question here is, is homosexuality the sin or the punishment?

For the sake of argument let us assume that Paul is saying homosexuality, both male and female, is a sin. The questions is how strongly should we weigh this single passage against the rest of the New Testament? We should remember that these are Paul's own words, he is not quoting Christ. It should also be weighed against other passages, for example Matthew 8:5-8

In this passage 'servant' is the translation of the Greek word 'pais' (written in the Latin alphabet), a number of other translations have been offered including male-lover.

I suppose. I can certainly see it from your point of view, although admittedly I am not on great terms with the religion of Christianity having grown up with it and having it permeated through my mind. Based on my own interpretations and what I perceive as more stable food for the soul that I have come across, I cannot agree with the bible, and in some form my opinions may for a very long time be biased concerning its contents. The fact that there are many interpretations is interesting - like any great work of art - but it is due to this very fact I cannot then accept the "absoluteness" of some of its teachings as indeed absolution of spiritual context.

As always, respect. (Even if I can be heated ;P)

Messages In This Thread
New (Question on Faith and Homosexuality, the relationship between the two) - by DtotheJtotheM - 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM