Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been awake for 48 hours and counting
Please.......help....me.:frown:

I've been awake for 48 hours(probably a little more) and my atempts at sleeping has been unsucsesfull.
This is the first time i've been awake this long against my will.
I have energy, but at the cost of feeling brain dead most of the time, but i do get really tired spells.
I've tried taking Nytol((probably a weak)Sleeping pill brand, probablay wrong spelling) and I still can't sleep.
Grrrr, Why are my sleeping paterns always fucking up!
Any advice? Suicide perhaps?:tongue:

Ah why am i bothering, i bet i'll be asleep by the time someone replies.:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

If this is regular, have you spoken to your GP?

What is your daytime routine? Are you eating properly, exercising regularly. Do you have a sleep hygiene routine that you follow?

This is not normal, although i do ofeten have trouble with my sleep paterns. I have seen my GP about my sleep paterns and The blood test was negetive of anything suspisious.
Daytime routine=Non existant
Diet= on avarage, one meal a day, probably not balanced
Exercise= Er, well lets just say I'm stuck with the whole exercise thing, There is a whole list of things stopping me leaving the house, heh.
Sleep hygine routine? Er No and double no(I'm honest at least:biggrin:!)

Whats The Diognosis Doc? Grim I'd say, Everything about my life would contribute to such problems, its just never been like this before:confused: .

I'm not a medical practitioner of any sort, so I don't have a diagnosis for you. There are a number of websites that will give you more information about sleep hygiene. This is a little test to assess your present situation (sorryI can't get PA's computer to opening enough windows to do hyperlinks) http://discoveryhealth.queendom.com/cgi-...t_test.cgi

This list seems to crop up on several websites:
  1. Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
    If you are not sleepy at bedtime, then do something else. Read a book, listen to soft music or browse through a magazine. Find something relaxing, but not stimulating, to take your mind off of worries about sleep. This will relax your body and distract your mind.
  2. If you are not asleep after 20 minutes, then get out of the bed.
    Find something else to do that will make you feel relaxed. If you can, do this in another room. Your bedroom should be where you go to sleep. It is not a place to go when you are bored. Once you feel sleepy again, go back to bed.
  3. Begin rituals that help you relax each night before bed.
    This can include such things as a warm bath, light snack or a few minutes of reading.
  4. Get up at the same time every morning.
    Do this even on weekends and holidays.
  5. Get a full night’s sleep on a regular basis.
    Get enough sleep so that you feel well-rested nearly every day.
  6. Avoid taking naps if you can.
    If you must take a nap, try to keep it short (less than one hour). Never take a nap after 3 p.m.
  7. Keep a regular schedule.
    Regular times for meals, medications, chores, and other activities help keep the inner body clock running smoothly.
  8. Don’t read, write, eat, watch TV, talk on the phone, or play cards in bed.

9. Do not have any caffeine after lunch.

10. Do not have a beer, a glass of wine, or any other alcohol within six hours of your bedtime.

11. Do not have a cigarette or any other source of nicotine before bedtime.

12. Do not go to bed hungry, but don’t eat a big meal near bedtime either.

13. Avoid any tough exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
    You should exercise on a regular basis, but do it earlier in the day. (Talk to your doctor before you begin an exercise program.)
  14. Avoid sleeping pills, or use them cautiously.
    Most doctors do not prescribe sleeping pills for periods of more than three weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking sleeping pills.
  15. Try to get rid of or deal with things that make you worry.
    If you are unable to do this, then find a time during the day to get all of your worries out of your system. Your bed is a place to rest, not a place to worry.
  16. Make your bedroom quiet, dark, and a little bit cool.
    An easy way to remember this: it should remind you of a cave. While this may not sound romantic, it seems to work for bats. Bats are champion sleepers. They get about 16 hours of sleep each day. Maybe it’s because they sleep in dark, cool caves.
I found this version at SleepEducation.com

Hope you can get sorted.

thanks for the advice. I've managed to get 3 hours sleep, so now i think I will stay up now and try to get some more sleep at a time closer to my normal time.

Tips 1 and 2 sound a bit silly
tips 4 and 5 are very situation based:
4) I sleep in a lot, can't i enjoy life?:tongue:
5) What? How can I make sure that happens?
7) sounds like they want my life to be organised like some sort of school time table.Headscratch
9) After lunch? Thats an awfully long time....
15) Trying.
16) Good idea, but its hard getting my room to cool down with out opening the window and letting every winged insect in london swarm in!

Sorry, It really sounds like i'm moaning about a pointles problem, I'll probably be fine in a week.Rolleyes
PS:I was kidding about the Doc bit in the last postWink.

Marshlander gives some very good advice.

Genersis Wrote:Daytime routine=Non existant
Sleep hygine routine? Er No and double no(I'm honest at least:biggrin:!)

I think that is your problem. You need a proper routine to your day which doesn't include naps.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Napping? I could earn a gold medal!:tongue:
Nah only joking! I don't nap, unless i get less then 5 hours sleep, then i kind of colaps on to my bed at about 3-5 PM and wake up at about 3AM

Routine? I might put in guide lines but no rules ok?:biggrin:

see your doctor ASAP and tell him/her what is going on
disturbances in sleep patterns may indicate depression

I already know i have dpression, although nowhere near as bad as it used to be. But thanks for the act of good will!
I'm sleeping ok now, exept , my sleep patern has changed, yet again.(asleep 8/9 AM to 4/56 PM)
Instead of a constant Sevear(sp?) depression that i used to get(mainly due to school, see profile for details), I some times get (i'm guessing)mild depression. I am seeing a Psyciatrist. I do not, and will never, use pills.

I hope knowing this wont make anyone think im a nut, really, i just get sad sometimes.....

Bighug