Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont Blame Me, Blame My Culture
After doing a bit of research (mainly down to boredom) i discovered a language that i had never known before, Scots, i know what your thinking its just Scottish people speaking the english language but after reading into it i found that most of the time when i speak, i speak in Scots fluently, its like a whole other language that i once thought to be slang but its even recognized by the UN as an official language of Scotland look:

Gie's it - Give me it
Whit? - What
Ah - I
Fur - For

thats just a selection of words that i actually use day to day i was so shocked when i realied i wasnt being slang, i was talking like a true ScotSmile

So next time i accidently add in a wee (little) extra word remeber, its just my heritige shining throughSmile

Is there any other languages like this by the way?

Language is soooooo SEXY :tongue:

Robertson, I'm delighted you have discovered your Scots heritage, but a little saddened that this knowledge has been denied you this long. Scotland has its own National Curriculum and I would have thought you would have come across this at school long before now. Maybe in the course of your research you might also have discovered that Robert Burns means more than a piss-up in January? He wrote extensively in the Scots language as well as in Scottish English dialect.

It doesn't change anything I may have said in the past though about communicating here in a form that is most suited to an international readership, though. Maybe you could start a Scots sub-forum on the GaySpeak Multi-lingual Forum?

Cheers Wink

I have to say that I now understand your posts a little better when I read them with a Scots accent, it does make a difference Xyxthumbs

i follow your posts perfectly Robertson but thats because one half of my family is scottish but i can see how the otheres on here struggle a bit Confusedmile: .

you want to try coming from yorkshire, nobody can follow how we speak when we go abroad or anywhere in great britton to be honest, like u, we shorten n change ervery second word so it makes it hard for others to follow us, Loads of times i've been on holiday and people have said they can understand Geordies, Scousers,Cockenys etc but yorkshire accent baffles them, i try hard on here that when i type i put the full words and not how i'm saying in my head so i dont loose people reading it, the spellings another matter so i'll appologies for that in advance, haha

I think theres certain words that the welsh use quite a lot that are primarily english words just over used down here... But then we have english words like tiptop that mean completely different things all over england to what it does here :S

And sometimes I tend to mix my spelling with the welsh way.. Business in wales is Busnes (I think :S) but that was an example.. and now and again I'll be speaking and throw in a welsh word.. and have to redo the whole sentence... Theres also a thing with no 'K' in the welsh alphabet so now and again I swap that with a C as its natural... But yeh.. I don't have a clue what im rambling about now Smile x
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]☟
Nice to see ya around Twazzle Wavey Why not stop by more often Wink2 [/COLOR]

Not sure tbh. I float on and off Big Grin
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

This is why I say the scots are idiots david!

THIS IS WHYYY!!!

Glad to hear you are discovering the joys of your native dialect. I think accents and dialects are really interesting, and can tell you a lot about the history of your local area, a lot further back than you might think!

For example within Geordie, the dialect of Newcastle/Tyneside, there is evidence of Germanic influence. A little online research tells me that this is because many German and Danish soldiers were recruited to help defend Tyneside against the Romans, almost 2000 years ago, then settled in the region. Words such as lang (long), auld (old) and gan/gannin (go/going) illustrate this. In particular your argument brings to mind the geordie-ism 'learn', used to mean teach, as in 'I'll learn you how to do it'. To hear this, many would assume it is merely bad grammer, but it in fact derives from the german verb 'lehren'.

So I agree with your argument that what can be seen as sloppy English can actually be a great reflection of your culture!

However, I must concede that Marshlander has a point; the primary purpose of language is to communicate, and to that end we must sometimes adapt our speech so that is it both appropriate and accessible to the audience. Slang or localised dialect is good for people you know well, who share your understanding of the meaning, yet it would not be so suited to a national or even international audience, or a formal situation.

That said, I must agree with the others that your writing is very understandable as it is. I hope you'll enjoy more learning more about your new found language! Xyxthumbs