Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14,000 Trees!!!
As noted in another thread...we met with the arbourist today to set out the plans for this year's tree planting on our farm. We have 14,000 trees going in this year...a mix of hardwoods and conifers...it is the largest number we've planted in one year. (Full disclosure: I am not actually planting this year...this is a job for the youngers)

This, for me, is the sign that spring is actually coming.

We are already planning a barbecue for the tree planting crew...often a bunch of incredibly good looking stoners.....and the arbourist is as cute as they come with very fine butt cleavage as well.

Maybe I haven't entirely lost the will to live yet.

Have you ever planted trees?????

it is many trees which it cools. I planted 5 apple-trees.Bee

I Think there should be a photo documentary then. Smile which province are you in? My family in Alberta does some tree growing too.

14000 trees...wow! You must have a big farm!

I planted trees in high school. I founded the ecology club and got quite a few members and we were the first neighborhood recycling center in South San Jose at a time when not many people were into recycling. We delivered flyers to thousands of homes and businesses and got a huge response. I did this from 1972-1974. The recycling plant downtown brought us these huge bins for different colored glass and also cans and newspaper and we only opened on Saturdays from 8-2 but we had a huge line of cars the entire 6 hours every week.

We took the money we made and planted trees....so yeah...I planted alot of trees. We also gave money to Greenpeace.

Just make sure they're not "j" rooted or swept root. Assuming they're seedlings, root aphids will probably show up next year, brought by ant colonies who tend them like cattle/pets . Rodents like to chew seedlings as well. Douglas fir can withstand wetter soil than noble fir, and noble likes higher altitudes.

14,000 on a 5x5' grid is about... 10 acres?

My father owned a saw mill when I was young. As a teen I never planted a tree, but I spent many a summer walking off timber. I have land in AR leased out to International Paper planted in 8-year pine; they clear it, plant it, and clear it again all at their own expense and it gives me a tidy little sum every few years. I can't complain, but I agree that it is work best reserved for a younger generation lol. Gratz on the investment!
~Beaux

Rareboy Wrote:Have you ever planted trees?????

Yes. Whenever a family member or a dear friend I donate a certainm sum of money to be able to plant trees in their memory. When my oldest and dearest friend died, I arrange to have a small wood planted by the International Tree Foundation in her memory and to that of her husband also for whom I had alreday had trees planted. When a dear Jewish friend died I arranged for an organisation in Israel, to have five trees planted in a circle. That is apparently a Jewish tradition. When the last member of my family died, the money that he left me I used to plant a whole wood of some thousands of trees near where he used to live.

I dislike the tradition of flowers and wreaths at funerals. They are just another dying thing. Trees are a much more lasting and living memorial and are good for the environment.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Rareboy Wrote:Have you ever planted trees?????

when i was a kid, 6-7 years old. i planted some young treelings to have them grow big and old. don't know why. had a thing for that for a while back then.

[MENTION=21495]Rareboy[/MENTION] all righty... Now I'm broken out with envy. 14,000 trees???????????

I bet there aren't half that many trees in my county and the three to the south, north and east! Because of that I am still dazed when I see loads of trees growing anywhere I travel.

I've tried planting trees here and gone by instructions doing it. The ones I've tried just cant take the winds we have and after a couple of years start dying. Winds in the summer shred the leaves of any trees with big leaves and make them ugly. Even the apple tree I love so much isn't a "tree" because winds tear it up when it tries to grow tall. Instead it's a giant bush ten feet high and thirty across with limbs down to the ground.

There are a few trees that can take the winds here but they're all fugging ugly. Like Cottonwoods which are the messiest trees on earth. Here's the three in front of my house and a crabapple on the right that's right by the sidewalk where the kids and deer pick it clean. You can see what the winds from the north west do to them.

[Image: Windblown%20cottonwoods%20in%20SD_zpsieblardi.jpg]

Yes I have planted trees - thousands upon thousands...

Not for a tree farm, but for reforestation projects and then for my own personal pleasure.

Wait, take that back - My father had me hand plant (with a shovel) 2,500 white pine trees for Christmas trees one year. So I guess I did tree farm work once.