Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18 states in the US that need help
lkjlkj;lkjlkjl;kj;lkj

I am not surprised at all to see New Mexico on that list.

How do they need help?

I think everyone has known there has been a gay drain from these states with LGBT moving to more friendly places - with little to no representation of the LGBT community, why should the people there feel inclined to have to face their demons and learn acceptance?

The only way these states are going to learn acceptance is to be flooded with LGBT like the coastal states were -being forced to face real-life LGBT people and learn that those people bleed when prick, shed tear and are human is the only way that they will learn true tolerance.

Forcing them to accept us won't work - sure they will play lip service to the laws, but being forced to accept will only harden their hearts. They need to be given clear examples of the humanity of the LGBT folk in order to have compassion.

pellaz Wrote:same sex marriage reference
18 states that will need more time — or a Supreme Court decision:

New Mexico, 44% support – 51 % opposition (5/2013)
Montana, 43% support – 49 % opposition (2/2013)
Alaska, 40% support – 57 % opposition (2/2013)
Idaho, 40% support – 51 % opposition (aggregated by region, 11/2012)
Wyoming, 40% support – 51 % opposition (aggregated by region, 11/2012)
Missouri, 36% support – 52 % opposition (6/2012)
Oklahoma, 35% support – 56 % opposition (aggregated by region, 11/2012)
Kansas, 34% support – 63 % opposition (2/2013)
Alabama, 32% support (4/2013)
Nebraska, 32% support (10/2012)
Louisiana, 29% support – 59 % opposition (2/2013)
Utah, 29% support – 71 % opposition (7/2012)
Georgia, 27% support – 65 % opposition (12/2012)
Kentucky, 27% support – 65 % opposition (4/2013)
West Virginia, 26% support – 61 % opposition (9/2011)
South Carolina, 21% support – 69 % opposition (9/2011)
Arkansas, 18% support – 75 % opposition (10/2012)
Mississippi, 13% support – 78 % opposition (11/2011)

Not surprised at all to see my state, Arkansas, near the bottom. Arkansas is basically in the deep south.

Arkansas will not be legalizing gay marriage anytime soon.

Texas has improved a lot! Confusedmile:

However, I wonder where they got their polls from as it doesn't match their current government or the rural regions. If they polled people in Austin or Houston then that could explain why it was evenly split than being up there with Arkansas and Mississippi (and it wouldn't be accurate for the state as a whole).

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:How do they need help?

I think everyone has known there has been a gay drain from these states with LGBT moving to more friendly places - with little to no representation of the LGBT community, why should the people there feel inclined to have to face their demons and learn acceptance?

The only way these states are going to learn acceptance is to be flooded with LGBT like the coastal states were -being forced to face real-life LGBT people and learn that those people bleed when prick, shed tear and are human is the only way that they will learn true tolerance.

Forcing them to accept us won't work - sure they will play lip service to the laws, but being forced to accept will only harden their hearts. They need to be given clear examples of the humanity of the LGBT folk in order to have compassion.

Actually I agree. Maybe not flood them out necessarily, but definitely have some unambiguous representation of the very thing they do not understand and with time they will have no choice but to "get it".

It's not shoving anything down anyperson's throat, but merely showing that it's not just 1 type of candy in the store... this variety store we call life.

Bowyn is partially right. They don't need help as the tide is already turning. As a native of Oklahoma, no matter how backwards it may seem to you now it was leagues worse as little as ten years ago. The suffering of many gay kids has already turned the tide. Their suffering will be the thing that pushes their peers to oppose their parents, in the end, ironically. Homosexuals never needed to infiltrate schools or brainwash kids to "change" them - all we have ever had to do was come out of the closet. Natural human empathy in the next generation and the following, and so on and so on, will do the rest. Thankfully, many strong kids have done that, even here in my state.

I maybe too much of a coward to come out myself and risk losing my job and livelihood, but I can at least stick around and work from within the system to subvert the bigots and aid those braver than I. To provide encouragement and support where I can. At least to vote. If being in the closet to most everyone this long has taught me anything it is how to operate in the shadows and wear two faces.