Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 cds that define where/ who you are
if you could make 2 cds, each with 12 songs, that you think would be defining of your spirit, heart and mind - who you are right now - what would they be? (and add them in an archive so we can all hear them - i will add mine as soon as they will be uploaded, my internet is acting up!!!) :biggrin:

pieces of me:

alanis morissette | head over feet
björk | it's oh so quiet
the cure | plainsong
dave matthews band | ants marching
garbage | supervixen
george michael | freedom '90
hooverphonic | vinegar and salt
james | sometimes
jeff buckley | hallelujah
johnny rzeznik | i'm still here
live | run to the water
macy gray | i try
marilyn manson | heart-shaped glasses (when the heart guides the hand)
moby | run on
patti smith | land: horses / land of a thousand dances / la mer (de)
pink floyd | shine on you crazy diamond
pulp | disco 2000
r.e.m. | strange currencies
radiohead | fake plastic trees
rob dougan | clubbed to death [kurayamino variation]
smashing pumpkins | tonight, tonight
stereophonics | maybe tomorrow
tori amos | a sorta fairytale
u2 | until the end of the world

hidden track: r.e.m. & jim carrey
| this friendly world

Hokay ... let me think ... this is going to sound really depressing in parts, but these songs all have specific and deliberate meaning for me ...

CD 1 would be :-

Jesus to a Child - George Michael
The Heart Never Learns - Gloria Estefan
Deeper than Blood - Sovory
The Perfect Year - Dina Carroll
More than Friends (That's Right) - 3LW
It's No Good - Depeche Mode
Crazy for You - Madonna
Bleed For Me - Saliva
Away from the Sun - 3 Doors Down
I'd Rather Be In Love - Michelle Branch
Love Song for a Vampire - Annie Lennox
My Immortal - Evanescence

CD 2 would be :-

Confide in Me - Kylie Minogue
Beautiful - Christina Aguilera
The Right Kind of Wrong - LeAnn Rimes
If You're Not The One - Daniel Bedingfield
Unforgivable Sinner - Lene Marlin
Safe - George Michael
I See Your Smile - Gloria Estefan
Soon - LeAnn Rimes
In This Life - Madonna
The Rain - Roxette
Always be my Baby - Mariah Carey
Perfect Moment - Martine McCutcheon

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

See I would do this,
But they would nearly all be classical, and I don't think anyone would get it...
(And by classical I mean crazy 20th century classical)
So I don't think there's much point!
Lol!

wow shadow, that's a really good compilation - at least the songs that i know Confusedmile: i'd love to hear the other ones! *wink wink*

and wilem, try me Cool i'm always interested to hear new things, that's why i started this thread! :biggrin:

so i arranged them in two cds (vinyls actually, as i thought them to be double-sided) and slightly changed my list - forgot the verve's bittersweet symphony!!! :eek:

here they are.

cd one: http://download.yousendit.com/9549E77925D3760F

01 pink floyd | shine on you crazy diamond (part one) (13:29)
02 george michael | freedom '90 (6:30)
03 smashing pumpkins | tonight, tonight (4:14)
04 alanis morissette | head over feet (4:27)
05 tori amos | a sorta fairytale (5:29)
06 r.e.m. | strange currencies (3:53)
[SIZE=1]
07 marilyn manson | heart-shaped glasses (when the heart guides the hand) (5:05)
08 radiohead | fake plastic trees (4:50)
09 björk | it's oh so quiet (3:37)
10 james | sometimes (4:36)
11 johnny rzeznik | i'm still here (4:07)
12 stereophonics | maybe tomorrow (4:32)
+ -----------------

[/SIZE]
cd two: http://download.yousendit.com/A99010F47E86C39E

[SIZE=1]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]01 [SIZE=1]the cure | plainsong (5:15)
02 the verve | bittersweet symphony (5:58)
03 dave matthews band | ants marching (4:31)
04 hooverphonic | vinegar & salt (3:20)
05 jeff buckley | hallelujah (6:53)
06 garbage | supervixen (3:56)
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=1]
07 live | run to the water (4:27)
08 patti smith | land: horses / land of a thousand dances / la mer(de) (9:25)
09 pulp | disco 2000 (4:33)
10 macy gray | i try (4:00)
11 u2 | until the end of the world (4:38)
12 rob dougan | clubbed to death [kurayamino variation] (7:26)
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
+ -----------------

pocket_pilgrim Wrote:if you could make 2 cds, each with 12 songs, that you think would be defining of your spirit, heart and mind - who you are right now - what would they be? (and add them in an archive so we can all hear them - i will add mine as soon as they will be uploaded, my internet is acting up!!!) :biggrin:

pieces of me:

alanis morissette | head over feet
björk | it's oh so quiet
the cure | plainsong
dave matthews band | ants marching
garbage | supervixen
george michael | freedom '90
hooverphonic | vinegar and salt
james | sometimes
jeff buckley | hallelujah
johnny rzeznik | i'm still here
live | run to the water
macy gray | i try
marilyn manson | heart-shaped glasses (when the heart guides the hand)
moby | run on
patti smith | land: horses / land of a thousand dances / la mer (de)
pink floyd | shine on you crazy diamond
pulp | disco 2000
r.e.m. | strange currencies
radiohead | fake plastic trees
rob dougan | clubbed to death [kurayamino variation]
smashing pumpkins | tonight, tonight
stereophonics | maybe tomorrow
tori amos | a sorta fairytale
u2 | until the end of the world

hidden track: r.e.m. & jim carrey
| this friendly world

Geeeeeez you have good taste, I (l) Radiohead, Pulp, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Pink Floyds big long monsterous epic. Stereophonics!

1. Beetlebum - Blur - their best of many fantastic love songs
2. Shiver - Coldplay (story of my life lol)
3. Amsterdam - Coldplay (one of the best written songs of all time, a perfect redemption of a suicidal man saved by a friend, the perfect way to end an album.
4. Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead - Captures the delicate nature of life in pessemistic beauty and sours with the singers fragile voice, a pure bit of heart felt beauty and my favorate song of all time.
5. Micheal - Franz Ferdinand - Propably the best gay song ever wrote, I dont care if its not about gayness its what it expresses in me, Alex has such a hot voice when he goes 'come sexy boy, so sexy'
6. Common People - Pulp - I love Britpop and this is simply the best Brit pop song ever, the anthem of the 90's, it goes through some many stages of emotion and is delivered impicably by the charasmatic Jarvis Cocker.
7. Citizen Erazed - Muse - Muse are the best band of my generation and this huge heavy epic is why.
8. Bedshaped - Keane - Not a huge fan but this song was amazing, in a time where singers with cracked voices write emotionally fragile music, here comes Keane with this uplifting gem.
9. Aquiesence - Oasis - Great duet by the brothers that do loud noisy feel great rock better than any other band.
10. Song 2 - Blur - Why is it so short? a crime.
11. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - Lovely psychodelic atmospheric song, hard to describe.
12. Bad - U2 - Powerful beautiful song about turning someone around from the brink of destruction.

Im a fan of vunrability and emotionally powerful music. But I also like to rock Smile

Stephen55 Wrote:Geeeeeez you have good taste, I (l) Radiohead, Pulp, U2, Pink Floyds big long monsterous epic. Stereophonics!

Two albums that define who I am would propably be Ok Computer (because its the best album ever, and im a pessemistic individual who feels a little bit out of place with the world or did. Or still do...

And the Best of Blur because Blur are awsome... and so am I

ha ha! thanks :biggrin: now post yours!!! *challenge released!* and you're cheating with two ready-made albums Tongue

ok computer is really good, still i like the bends more. i'm an optimist so many radiohead songs are just not my thing.

and the universal was a close runner-up actually Wink

I used to say The Bends because its definatly my second fav album of all time. It changes a lot, both have their fair share of brilliant songs but so does every Radiohead album.

Ill put up disc 2's ideas later, expect more Radiohead, u2 and Muse.

And I love The Universal, I need to pick up the indivual albums some time still need the last 4.

Stephen55 Wrote:I used to say The Bends because its definatly my second fav album of all time. It changes a lot, both have their fair share of brilliant songs but so does every Radiohead album.

Ill put up disc 2's ideas later, expect more Radiohead, u2 and Muse.

And I love The Universal, I need to pick up the indivual albums some time still need the last 4.

same with me and r.e.m., my hands-down favourite band. i love 95% of their catalogue (less so the 2004 lukewarm album) and right now i'd claim monster as the best album, but that will always change. they're putting out a new album on april fools' and i can't wait. so far it doesn't sound groundbreaking or anything, but at least passionate. we'll see.

as for radiohead, i just know the two albums, and bits and pieces of the rest. i like strange music, but sometimes it gets too strange, so much that you can't feel it conveys a human's, but a machine's emotion. still i agree they're a good, versatile and influential band. thom yorke is a very good friend of michael stipe actually, and automatic for the people | ok computer | up | kid a was a series of 4 albums that show the influences between the two bands. i also downloaded in rainbows and found it nice, but haven't paid too much attention to it yet. i'm going to, soon! :biggrin:

with muse, i haven't heard anything of theirs, but i've heard about them. one of my friends is a huge fan and she says the music is great but the lyrics are crap. i wouldn't know so i won't pass judgement. Confusedmile: i guess i'll get to hear some of their stuff when you upload something *cough cough* Wink

coldplay is another one of the bands that i like, even if they exhibit signs of mannerism in x&y (my least favourite album of theirs). in my place almost made the cut for these two cds, but another one made it instead Wink

Quote:pocket_pilgrim - "wow shadow, that's a really good compilation - at least the songs that i know Confusedmile: i'd love to hear the other ones! *wink wink*"

Thanks babe !! If you really wanna hear the ones you've not heard before, let me know which ones they are and I'll sort something out for you xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

shadow Wrote:CD 1 would be :-

The Heart Never Learns - Gloria Estefan
Deeper than Blood - Sovory
The Perfect Year - Dina Carroll
More than Friends (That's Right) - 3LW
It's No Good - Depeche Mode
Bleed For Me - Saliva
Love Song for a Vampire - Annie Lennox

CD 2 would be :-

The Right Kind of Wrong - LeAnn Rimes
If You're Not The One - Daniel Bedingfield
Safe - George Michael
I See Your Smile - Gloria Estefan
Soon - LeAnn Rimes
Perfect Moment - Martine McCutcheon

i don't know these Confusedmile:. but you don't have to upload all of them if you don't have the time or means, maybe just the ones that you like best? :biggrin: i'd love to hear some of them!

Bighug