Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A penny for your thoughts
When I was in my last year of school, our teacher had a little speech about every student. It was the last time we would see each other and move on to another study (or work)

She also had like a proverb for every student in english, she was an english teacher after all.

When it came to me, she told me that ''a penny for your thoughts'' would fit to me. She said that she could never really read me what i really thought, She found it hard to know what was going on in my head.

This proverb at that moment really hit me, because it was like so true. there was a lot of going on in my head (being gay but in the closet, my mother was very sick and more stuff) but I was good at hiding it. I thought I was.

I find it very scary that some people can read other people so good.

Anyway, the speech about me was fine, and at the end she said in a funny way ''so, a penny for your thoughts?''.

I wonder, if you could choose a proverb which fits with you, what proverb would it be? and could you explain why that proverb?

I think for me it's "still waters run deep"- just because I think people see me in a certain way, I'm quite tall, broad, probably look moody sometimes and people seem surprised to learn I'm a shy, sensitive, intelligent guy with the soul of a clown!!Haha! That's how I read it anyways

So many possibilities,

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS

Because I tend not to say what I should say when I should say it because I believe if you are to express something, it should be expressed with actions.

THE PROOF OF THE PUDDING IS IN THE EATING

Be aware that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I don't think it defines me in any particular way, I just happen to like it.

Is there a proverb for not being to think of a proverb that celebrates one's individuality?

NativeSon Wrote:Be aware that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I like that one. It reminds me not to worry that I don't have good intentions.

I don't see much of my friend @East on here these days, but he used a quote from me as his signature. I heard that quote from a friend when I was in my teens, and it has been an anchor for me over all of these years.
It is:
"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die, but my God they are beautiful while they burn!"

Almost any problem or joyful occurrence, failure or success, true love or deep seated hatred can (IMO) be better appreciated when you look at it with that quote in mind. That is the best explanation I can give.

~Beaux

I like Mighty oaks from tiny acorns grow.

Which in some ways connect to two other seedy proverbs i always liked, You reap what you sow and They tried to bury us. They didn't know we were seeds.

I don't know if Im going to say those quotes describe me, but they describe my world view and motivate a lot of what I do in my work.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."
Nobody ever lends me a hand, unless they get my whole arm in return.
Even if I helped them already, they simply forget I ever did.

Still waters run deep.

Fortune favours the bold. I have this life and I've got to live it, I make all kinds of risky life-changing decisions but I'd rather 'do' than forever wonder 'what if...?'.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.