Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thread about water consumption
As a conservationist living in a comparatively dry climate, I am exceedingly careful about the water I use but have you ever considered how much water it takes to grow your favourite food?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13...52862.html
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

My area receives the most yearly rainfall of anywhere in the US, it's just not something we have to think about very often here. We do have some dry spells during the summer, but it's always made up for during the winter.

Pcolakuntryboy Wrote:My area receives the most yearly rainfall of anywhere in the US, it's just not something we have to think about very often here. We do have some dry spells during the summer, but it's always made up for during the winter.

Lucky you. Where I live we have cylical droughts and it seems from rthe lack of rain so far this winter that we are enterinng a new one. The last serious drought we suffered lasted five years.

Hardly ever a problem here. Even most Summers are fairly wet, and the last few Winters have been VERY wet. The last time there was anything like a drought here that I can remember was Summer 2006. That Summer, the leaves started dropping off the trees in July, the grass was brown/grey under foot, and I think there may have been a hosepipe ban in the southeast of the country, but not here though (I may be wrong). 2007, conversely, was then the wettest Summer on record! But yeah, water shortages not all that a common occurrence here.

LONDONER Wrote:Lucky you. Where I live we have cylical droughts and it seems from rthe lack of rain so far this winter that we are enterinng a new one. The last serious drought we suffered lasted five years.

Well the downside to it is that it's super humid during the summer, you walk out the door and feel like you've stepped into a sauna.

Pcolakuntryboy Wrote:Well the downside to it is that it's super humid during the summer, you walk out the door and feel like you've stepped into a sauna.

I've been to places like that: New Orleans, Hong Kong, Sydney. It spat with rain here this morning and I came back from my morning exercise sweating because of the humidity. That's not normal for February.

Pcolakuntryboy Wrote:My area receives the most yearly rainfall of anywhere in the US, it's just not something we have to think about very often here. We do have some dry spells during the summer, but it's always made up for during the winter.

We are definitely in the running for heaviest rainfall up here in SC, it floods downtown 10-20 times a year here in Charleston!
Having said that, between my gardening and my disaster-preparedness (I have survived 3 hurricanes), I am pretty conscious of the availability of fresh water none the less...
~Beaux

Here we get in the neighborhood of 72 inches a year, the summers are a little drier...I happen to be on a well and we have filled a 6,000 gallon swimming pool several times...

The thing about water it is a renewable resource...the problem is that a lot of people aren't where the water is....that is one reason I refuse to live in the western part of the US, they're constantly in droughts, under restrictions... Not saying we're immune to droughts where I live but it is far less frequent and severe, usually by winter the weather pattern changes and it comes a deluge...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Please note that your food may not be grown where you are. If you area gets a lot of rain, you still may be eating food produced far away.

The only reasonable solution to this is that we all stop eating. Once we have stopped eating or drinking anything whatsoever, the problem will be cleared up within a week.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Please note that your food may not be grown where you are. If you area gets a lot of rain, you still may be eating food produced far away.

The only reasonable solution to this is that we all stop eating. Once we have stopped eating or drinking anything whatsoever, the problem will be cleared up within a week.

A perfect solution to save the world!