Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A visit to Prague (by request)
Nick9 Wrote:LOL, the vintage cars... I believe they all are really old and they are probably owned by one company that indeed uses them for tourist tours. You can also take a carriage, something I've always wanted to try - to enjoy the slow ride through the old streets.

another lol about the Arabic glass Big Grin
Do you mean this?
[Image: 2-528c9768220bcc0db872236318bc6cb0.jpg]

[Image: P.Hartl%20Brouseni%20skla.jpg]

It's hand cut glass.

Yes Nick, I know it's hand cut. I said that one can admire the craftsmanship but I prefer much more simple things. Some of the stuff I saw was cut and covered in gold too. All very much over the top.

Nick9 Wrote:LOL, the vintage cars... I believe they all are really old and they are probably owned by one company that indeed uses them for tourist tours. You can also take a carriage, something I've always wanted to try - to enjoy the slow ride through the old streets.

I tried hard to find out what makes the cars are but could find no badges,m no insignias, no nothing, that why I thought they were "Bitsas". The white one in the photograph was too long to be a vintage car.

There was some other, slightly strange means of transport that I didn't photograph. Great fun though.

Quote: The bridge is lined with statues of various saints and there is a small iron and brass monument to John of Nepomuk who was Archbishop of Prague and confessor to the wife of King Wenceslas. So I understand it, Wenceslas believed that the Queen had a lover and demanded from John that he reveal the secret of her confession. John refused and the King ordered him to be thrown off the bridge. How the King got to have the name of Good King Wenceslas I have no idea. Anyway, the monument has achieved a legend at it seems that people believe that if they touch it, it brings good luck.

The historians are still not sure if that is a legend or the truth. But he was tortured to death and it seems that the king was present in the room. John died and then his body was thrown from the Charles Bridge. He is buried in the St. Vitus Cathedral.

[Image: 220px-Jan_Nepomucky_Vizovice_02.jpg]

He is always portrayed with five stars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Nepomuk

Btw, the "Good King Wenceslas" (I didn't even know he was known as good...) is different from the one that has his monument at the W. Square. The first one lived in the 14th century , the latter one in 10th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_...of_Bohemia)

Nick9 Wrote:The historians are still not sure if that is a legend or the truth. But he was tortured to death and it seems that the king was present in the room. John died and then his body was thrown from the Charles Bridge. He is buried in the St. Vitus Cathedral.

[Image: 220px-Jan_Nepomucky_Vizovice_02.jpg]

He is always portrayed with five stars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Nepomuk

Btw, the "Good King Wenceslas" (I didn't even know he was known as good...) is different from the one that has his monument at the W. Square. The first one lived in the 14th century , the latter one in 10th century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_...of_Bohemia)

Corrected once again!

LONDONER Wrote:Yes Nick, I know it's hand cut. I said that one can admire the craftsmanship but I prefer much more simple things. Some of the stuff I saw was cut and covered in gold too. All very much over the top.

Yes, I can understand. I believe the Czech don't use them much, but we know that the glass is an important part of our history, so many families have wine glasses, a bowl or a vase and use it for special occasion only. (Celebrations, Christmas)

There is a long tradition of crystal lamps making, they still sell well, but it's mostly for export. I don't think an ordinary family would buy it, it's expensive and a bit over the top. They are usually bought by foreign companies

[Image: retus%20om711.jpg]

There is also a very long tradition of handmade glass Christmas ornaments. Tons of them are sold to the US every year.

LONDONER Wrote:Corrected once again!

Honestly, Londoner, I would be a bad tourist guide. I like to read about the history, but I tend to forget everything. I love to walk through the city and feel it. My partner remembers everything, he even worked as a tourist guide. Sometimes, it's really hard to not feel ashamed next to him. I mean I don't NEED to know all those fact to enjoy mine or other cities, but somehow it always makes me feel like I am not good enough when I realize that he knows everything what he had ever read.

Quote:walked a short distance to the Jewish Quarter with the intention of seeing some of the synagogues and the Jewish cemetery.

Can you believe I have never been there? I feel nothing but respect to Israel and the Jews, just like the majority of people in our country. I believe our bond with Israel is strong (very strong even on the political level, which seems to be kind of rare among other European countries) and I hope it will stay that way.

But have never visited those places. It seems that because I live here, I tend to think that I can postpone the visit...

Again, thank you for sharing your experience. I wish things were different and we could have met. Maybe next time Smile

Nick9 Wrote:[Image: retus%20om711.jpg]

There is also a very long tradition of handmade glass Christmas ornaments. Tons of them are sold to the US every year.

If that's a Christmas ornament, it's beautiful. But I'm an aethiest and don't believe in Christmas but if I did, I would quite like to have that.

LONDONER Wrote:If that's a Christmas ornament, it's beautiful. But I'm an aethiest and don't believe in Christmas but if I did, I would quite like to have that.

Rofl no, that's a one of many many types of crystal glass ceiling lamps.