Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AM Radio
Like the song by Everclear you used to be able to hear the music on the AM radio. Post a song you used to hear on the AM radio in this thread...

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Besides being into computers... I used to try and fix old broken radios like this one when I was a kid...
[Image: radio_ant_foriegn011.gif]
My fav AM station was a 60's Classic Hits station in France or Luxembourg that played this song almost every hour! Smile

Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.
[-] The following 1 member Likes andy's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(11-25-2020, 03:53 PM)andy Wrote: Besides being into computers... I used to try and fix old broken radios like this one when I was a kid...
[Image: radio_ant_foriegn011.gif]

I started to kind of get into that. My grandparents had a console stereo from the 60's which needed recapping or rather an electrical restoration but I could never get my hands on a working tube tester. It was a neat unit, had an automatic record changer (played 78/45/33/16) and was one of the very early radios that did FM stereo or "stereophonic" as they called it back in the day. The pre-amp circuit needed re-capping for sure as you would get loud pops and crackles with the volume all the way down to 0, although I guess that could have been in the amplifier which if I remember correctly used 12AX7's and a 6L6's. Oh it was a 3 channel system, you had your right and left and the center which had a 12" woofer, it did get quite loud.
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy

Mike @InbetweenDreams that's really cool!  My gran had a console stereo too... they call them radiograms in the UK and were really popular in the 60s and 70s. They looked like a bit of quality made wooden furniture when closed up! Wink

[Image: 7eb641682a9d4c750513b0ef0e80e7ab.jpg]

A lot of the radios I used to get hold of had old valves (vacuum tubes) in them too. I didn't have a tube tester either as they cost a bomb. Sometimes it was easy to see if they were blown. There was an ancient radio/tv/electronics shop I used to visit in Glasgow that had almost all the old valve parts or could order them in quite cheaply! Wink

I might try and get hold of an old radio that's beyond repair on Fleebay and gut out all the old internals and fit in a Raspberry Pi with small LCD touch screen for Spotify and internet radio etc. Would be a really cool little project.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.
[-] The following 1 member Likes andy's post:
  • Bookworm

Radiograms lol that takes me back to my childhood! I think every house seemed to have one. That looks quite similar to the one my parents had.

(11-27-2020, 01:44 PM)andy Wrote: I might try and get hold of an old radio that's beyond repair on Fleebay and gut out all the old internals and fit in a Raspberry Pi with small LCD touch screen for Spotify and internet radio etc. Would be a really cool little project.
Nothing quite like channelling your inner geek  Big Grin
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • andy