Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accepting parents...
How things have evolved, it's nice to see.
These two twins are and have been really nervous about coming out to their parents, but they get a good reaction.
Thanks, parents, for being atuned to the world and its differences.

Parents that are accepting are amazing and my parents were very cool when I came out to them when I was 22 years old. I had just served 3 years in the army like a year prior and I just was tired of hiding who I was so I just came out to my family, certain people at work and I just had to be open and honest about who and what I was. My dad was very cool and wanted to do more fatherly son things which I thought was awesome.

Now that I am realizing that I am transgender and that I am a woman stuck in a mans body I am finding that I am really nervous about telling my parents that I am that. Or even telling other family members about that or even if I should tell them. I mean does my lifetsyle really affect them in the long run anyway? I mean when I came out to being gay did I really need to tell them? I mean sure if I start to dress full time as a woman I will probably warn them and tell them then but should I tell them now?

You're 40 now, Sandy... I think there's a time to be true to yourself and to be truthful to others, especially people that count. If you don't know how to do this without fearing to shock your parents, can you seek out some counselling from your local group?
I'd say your parents are pretty much aware that you are different. Have you ever been able to bring back a boyfriend or girlfriend? Have they ever been judgmental of your "lifestyle"? Can you test this with a sibling first (one you feel close to, assuming you have siblings?)?
If you're going to have a sex change or at least a changing body, I'm sure your parents would be just as concerned for you as if you had a disease or an accident and had to stay in hospital.
They might not agree with your choice, but they've been supportive until now. What makes you think they won't be supportive now? If I were you, I'd get plenty of material to give them to read and think over. Let them do a bit of background checking, so you can do some questioning and talking together. This is a BIG subject, I'm sure. Your role is to give them some understanding of the condition and to alleviate whatever fears they might have about you and a potential sex change.