Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction
Wrote this poem in my creative writing group today. It is about a friend who used to be addicted to his mothers painkillers. she would only give them to him when she was in a good mood and leave him in withdrawal the rest of the time.

She feeds them like sweets when you have been good
One for sorrow and two for joy
White in colour, dazzling like two silver moons
in the night sky.

They taste bitter at first, like her words or
the scilence she evokes,
which clenches like barb wire in the throat.

The stomach aches for them,
but when they hit its like
morphine to the dying soul.

They disperse in the stomach and
sit comfortably like an old friend
taking your'e hand and

Saying it's all right
everything is going
to be ok.

That's pretty powerful. Thanks for sharing. Reading it brought to my mind "There She Goes" by The Las.

Thank you for sharing. It saddens me to think a mother would care so little for her child to get them hooked on a drug, then use the drug to toy with the youngster is cruel beyond belief.
Your wording was skilfully and had a pleasing rhythm. Would like to see more.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read and reply to this thread. Addiction of any sort is an extremely difficult issue to deal with and somthing which most of us dont like talking about. There are many feelings of shame around this which is why so few people get help.

Sparky,
I did read it, I just didn't know how to comment, so my apologies.

Would be nice to see some more of your work.

Xyxthumbs

Star Twister Wrote:[B]Sparky,
I did read it, I just didn't know how to comment, so my apologies.

I have to agree with that sorry Sad.

Its a good poem though!

Using those silver moons nightly does allow me to understand your words way more than I want to admit...

This is the first time in my life that I have been on scripts for about half a decade. I have always been more scared of the legal addictions such as cigarettes, alcohol, *junk* food than the ones found in nature & they put you into prison for.

Curious what ya think about addictive types. I enjoyed a wild scene in Philadelphia during the mid 80s. Decided to take a plane to Tokyo where nothing was available and had zero withdrawal.

Great poem with valid description and would like to see it start more of a discussion Coffee