Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost April
This year i'll be starting my new vegetable and spice garden. I've got about 14 different vegetables for my 10 ft garden square. Last year i had a garden of flower. but this year i will rip them down and grow me some good carrots broccoli and peppers for some delicious stews! Why pay 20 bucks a month for vegetables from the grocer when i can pay $10 for all my seeds and supplies and get all my food free. It'll take a little time to grow but it'll be worth it by October. It's a relaxing hobby to. clears your mind and gets your hands dirty. I think more people need to smell some wet dirt every now and then. good for the heart.

Anyone else care to join the parade? You planning on growing a garden this spring??? Perhaps you would like too?

I really would like to start one. Having a fresh vegetable garden is great. I've done it before but right now I don't have the time. Maybe I can start one again in a year or two.

Lewis, look up 'companion planting'

For example, if you plant Marigolds with Tomato's you don't get white fly.

It's the smarter way to protect your crops rather than use chemicals Wink

dfiant Wrote:Lewis, look up 'companion planting'

For example, if you plant Marigolds with Tomato's you don't get white fly.

It's the smarter way to protect your crops rather than use chemicals Wink

Tomatoes are the only vegetable I'm not planting. I firstly dont use tomatoes that much-I'm not a big tomato fan. I had a tomato plant last year and since i had no use for the tomatoes they fell of the plant and started rotting on the ground. it was the worst smell ever. attracted many flies too. but i will look it up to see if i can prevent any pests from popping into my new vegetables.

Beau Wrote:I really would like to start one. Having a fresh vegetable garden is great. I've done it before but right now I don't have the time. Maybe I can start one again in a year or two.

I think you should at least plant a flower. 1 Gerberi daisy and water it everyday. i think when it blooms it'll bring a smile to your face.

I studied and excelled at Horticulture for 3 years, and to many of my teachers dismay I stopped, I regret it too, but that was 25 years ago and it is what it is Wink

I would love to plant a garden with carrots, spinach, cauliflower, corn, sugar cane, peas and a few others, but at this point in time I have no free time to build the garden in preparation for those crops as we live on a very heavy soil, and I just wouldn't have the time to tend to the gardens if I established them.

Lot's and lots of shit on your vege's lewis, chicken shit (Dynamic lifter) is great but horse shit is better.

So nice to just watch a gardener do the square. And it's free

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=837&stc=1&d=1358941980]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This spring im planning on trimming my bush.... Oh wait that came out wrong lmao... I am planning on plucking back my strawberries (even that sounds wrong) and shining some light to make them more redder. I have got a water thingy to keep them hydrated during the hot months and this summer i wanna sit in my garden with my fella and enjoy the heat beaming down on us x

writerken Wrote:So nice to just watch a gardener do the square. And it's free

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=837&stc=1&d=1358941980]

I know what square you live in lol as im a traffic warden in brighton and patrolled your area many times in my 7 years service now hehe

Ahhhhh, spring! I am looking forward to it. I have a big bed of garlic in the ground now that will be ready in June. By then I will have planted peas, spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, broccoli, beans, basil, potatoes, carrots, beets, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I have 10 yr old fruit trees that produce more fruit than I can eat or process: apples, pears, plums, apricots, peach and cherry. (Although the birds get most of the cherries.)

It does take time, but the rewards are great. Fresh produce tastes so much better than what the stores offer, and there are so many varieties available to plant. Try a purple carrot!

Lewis, if you had tomatoes rot on the ground last year you will probably have more this year. Those seeds are tough and determined!