Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Horror Story
East Wrote:Well...Bates and Lange both got another Golden Globe nomination...and they both deserve it...

..but I have finally decided that there is a permanent problem with the writing...or maybe editing....the continuity of the show is so uneven....

I will still watch on the strength of the actors and maybe that will have to be enough...but the story and editing are weak....I really wish they weren't...so much potential wasted YET AGAIN....

He has all the right parts but for some reason it just doesn't all come together.....I felt the same about his other show Glee.
I actually started the series with asylum but i kind have to agree, season 2 for me story and plot wise felt so cohesive and tight, well the additions of the aliens felt weird to me, but stil, and pretty much all the characters got really good focus and attention. Coven on the other hand had some really cool ideas and awsome characters but the plot, pacing and tone seemed all over the place and the main character who were introduced to in the beginning seemed to dropped of the face of the earth for most the series and got ( i feel) little to no development. Freakshow has been pretty good so far and i really like how the killer clown character was handled, but again the main character( the siamese twin) introduced in the beginning seems to have disappeared for the most part, and the plot feels kind of disjointed, but still great characters and i'll defiantly stick around until the end.

jaxc Wrote:I actually started the series with asylum but i kind have to agree, season 2 for me story and plot wise felt so cohesive and tight, well the additions of the aliens felt weird to me, but stil, and pretty much all the characters got really good focus and attention. Coven on the other hand had some really cool ideas and awsome characters but the plot, pacing and tone seemed all over the place and the main character who were introduced to in the beginning seemed to dropped of the face of the earth for most the series and got ( i feel) little to no development. Freakshow has been pretty good so far and i really like how the killer clown character was handled, but again the main character( the siamese twin) introduced in the beginning seems to have disappeared for the most part, and the plot feels kind of disjointed, but still great characters and i'll defiantly stick around until the end.

Definitely agree about the characters. This guy does GREAT characters...he is so talented in that area so I wish he would find someone who is equally talented in the areas that he lacks.....

Having said that...I am still enjoying it for the characters and the actors that play them...and they= story isn't really bad...it has so many gaps and it is disjointed. I can overlook it though...especially now that I have said it out loud LOL

East Wrote:Definitely agree about the characters. This guy does GREAT characters...he is so talented in that area so I wish he would find someone who is equally talented in the areas that he lacks.....

Having said that...I am still enjoying it for the characters and the actors that play them...and they= story isn't really bad...it has so many gaps and it is disjointed. I can overlook it though...especially now that I have said it out loud LOL
I just got done watching the most recent episode of freakshow, and all i have to say is HOLY SHIT!!! i can't believe( though really i can) that just happened!

DAMN...this guy is a genius...

Last night's episode was brilliantly written and acted...

...which makes the unevenness even more glaring....

...but even more worth it....

East Wrote:Well...Bates and Lange both got another Golden Globe nomination...and they both deserve it...

..but I have finally decided that there is a permanent problem with the writing...or maybe editing....the continuity of the show is so uneven....

I will still watch on the strength of the actors and maybe that will have to be enough...but the story and editing are weak....I really wish they weren't...so much potential wasted YET AGAIN....

He has all the right parts but for some reason it just doesn't all come together.....I felt the same about his other show Glee.

Can I just say amen? The characters are STRONG. S3 had some really really well done characters but the show falls apart mid season and struggles. Season2 had cracks at the seams but was strong overall.

I've lost most interest in season4. I'll finish but makes me sad.

BrianNorth Wrote:Can I just say amen? The characters are STRONG. S3 had some really really well done characters but the show falls apart mid season and struggles. Season2 had cracks at the seams but was strong overall.

Yeah...it makes me sad too because his brilliance with the characters and his ability to cast the parts with stellar talent deserves to have the best writers money can buy....

I wonder if his problem might be that he doesn't understand his own strengths and weaknesses? His strengths are so formidable that perhaps he is blinded to everything else? It is kinda frustrating as a viewer so I am trying to figure it out LOL

East Wrote:Yeah...it makes me sad too because his brilliance with the characters and his ability to cast the parts with stellar talent deserves to have the best writers money can buy....

I wonder if his problem might be that he doesn't understand his own strengths and weaknesses? His strengths are so formidable that perhaps he is blinded to everything else? It is kinda frustrating as a viewer so I am trying to figure it out LOL

Agreed. He seems to nail the concept and such but the writing ends up dragging everything down. Weird scope changes. Some characters have giant value put on them despite having 4 minutes of screentime. Chris mentioned Glee having the same issues. S1 is strong, s2 starts to stumble and then it just went downhill fast.

After reading through some of East's observations, I decided to re-watch season 3, and I have to say that I agree whole heartedly. There were just too many frayed ends in the story itself, and a huge waste focusing on characters that shouldn't have even had screen time (imo). Cordelia's husband "Hank" is an excellent example of wasted screen time. We needed to see neither his childhood memories nor his visit with his father as an adult to further the story line, which took away from the story itself rather than add to it.
On an aside, having rematches it, I feel that they decided midseason to make Cordelia the Supream (I cross referenced some of the entertainment news articles) and couldn't help but notice that the story line moved away from "Zoe" when the audience began to express discontent with the character.
Also, I think the real "mastermind" behind the season was "Myrtl Snow".
~Beaux

[MENTION=13210]Beaux[/MENTION] ....I agree with all of your observations...I will add that wasting Stevie Nicks is a sin...I'm sure it is written somewhere in the Bible LOL

I also think you should get a job writing for him...

BrianNorth Wrote:Can I just say amen? The characters are STRONG. S3 had some really really well done characters but the show falls apart mid season and struggles. Season2 had cracks at the seams but was strong overall.

If this season is making you sad so far, then the most recent episode, #10 will probably have you balling, at least it made me teer up a bit, and that doesn't happen often.