Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An amusing bit of naval history
This is transcript of the actual radio conversation between the British and the Irish off the coast of Keery, October 1988. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operatios, 10. 10. 1998.

IRISH: Please divert your course 15º to the South to avoid collision.

BRITISH: Reccomend you divert your course 15º North to avoid collision.

IRISH: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15º South to avoid collision.

BRITISH: This is the Capitain of a British naval ship. I say divert your course.

IRISH: Negaitive. I say again, you will have to divert YOUR course.

BRITISH: This is the aircraft carrier HMS Brittania. The second largest ship in the British Atlantic fleet. Three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels accompany us . I demand you change your course 15º North , I say again 15º North, or counter-measures wuill be taken to ensure the safety of this ship.

IRISH: We are a lighthouse. Your cal!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's the British Navy for you lol.
An eye for an eye

Thats so funny Big Grin

But thats a bit unfair dan, the british navy is incredible, 5 times the british navy has stopped a despotic ruler from taking over europe in our history.

partisan Wrote:Thats so funny Big Grin

But thats a bit unfair dan, the british navy is incredible, 5 times the british navy has stopped a despotic ruler from taking over europe in our history.

Yeah it is a bit unfair. Our Navy is good I just found it funny the transcript between the navy and a lighthouse.
An eye for an eye

Dan1980 Wrote:Yeah it is a bit unfair. Our Navy is good I just found it funny the transcript between the navy and a lighthouse.

Yeah, sorry i know you didnt mean anything, its so funny though :p

Hi
It is funny, because it pokes a wee bit at the pompesness of said navy senior officers.

BTW got a mail showing the new British hunter-killer sub. It's flippin awesome...

Had a giggle at our own navy's "new, 4th generation old" subs, Had no officers left who where qualified to captain the thing home from France.
The then minister of defence (name escapes me, they come and go so frequently) stated (in parliment) No problem, put it on a barge.....

Definately first world thinking... You think?

Trial by eror

The lighthouse story is worth a laugh, but it's not history. There's an American navy/Canadian lighthouse version floating around, as well. Marine radio operators would have identified their vessel on first contact.

Still a funny story Smile

Ive just had a.look and there seems to be some debate as to was it

british navy and irish lighthouse
US navy and canadian lighthouse
US navy and irish lighthouse
US navy and british lighthouse LOL

Does anyone know the truth?

I guess that in the end it will be classified as a urban myth.

partisan Wrote:Ive just had a.look and there seems to be some debate as to was it

british navy and irish lighthouse
US navy and canadian lighthouse
US navy and irish lighthouse
US navy and british lighthouse LOL

Does anyone know the truth?

I think the truth is that this is just a joke that has been going around for 100 years or more!

snopes.com is often a good place to start when in doubt about a story or claim on the net.
http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp