Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anonymous takes on ISIS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31313610

#opISIS

Quote:A list of more than 100 Twitter and Facebook accounts suspected to belong to Islamic State militants has been released by Anonymous, according to The Hacker News.

Quote:Earlier this year, Anonymous struck down French websites believed to be linked to extremists following the attack on Charlie Hebdo.

now this is what i like to hear. (although it's starting to look like i woke up in the middle of some sci-fi film scenario).

Wikipedia Wrote:In January 2015, Anonymous released a video and a statement via Twitter condemning the attack on Charlie Hebdo, in which 12 people, including eight journalists, were murdered. The video, claiming that it is "a message for al-Qaeda, the Islamic State and other terrorists," was uploaded to the group's Belgian account. The announcement stated that "We, Anonymous around the world, have decided to declare war on you, the terrorists" and promises to avenge the killings by "shut[ting] down your accounts on all social networks." On January 12, they brought down one of the Jihadists' websites. Critics of the action warned that taking down extremists' websites would make them harder to monitor.

and one more video:

there's no stopping of the free world. you will not succeed in your attempts to unfree us.

Why don't they hack and empty their bank accounts instead?

Borg69 Wrote:Why don't they hack and empty their bank accounts instead?
Most of the work done by Anonymous is doxing, not hacking.

Borg69 Wrote:Why don't they hack and empty their bank accounts instead?

some banks are already known to bar known ISIS members from using their services/opening accounts. i don't know if anyone's assets have ever been frozen.

also, this is what's been said about ISIS's financial situation:

Quote:The terrorist group relies on a relatively complex system to manage its far-reaching networks. Its currencies of choice—cash, crude oil and contraband—allow it to operate outside of legitimate banking channels. Turkey’s southern corridor, Iraq’s northwestern corridor and Syria’s northeastern corridor are key weak spots, well away from the prying eyes of outside investigators.

Quote:On October 23, Washington’s point person in the fight against ISIS—the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen—acknowledged in a speech at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington that “[ISIS] has amassed wealth at an unprecedented pace and its revenue sources have a different composition from those of many other terrorist organizations.” ISIS doesn’t “depend principally on moving money across international borders,” he said, but “obtains the vast majority of its revenues from local criminal and terrorist activities.”

Anonymous doesn't have much to hack there.

below is the link to those twitter and email accounts Anonymous has so far exposed. there are about a thousand entries there, a few have a 100+ K following, and a lot of them fall under having between 10-20,000 followers.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/02/anonymous-downed-and-exposed-isis-accounts/

there are additional remarks on some of them. like one using Anonymous' logo, having duplicate accounts, someone being a ''bad motherfucker'' and another being a ''disgusting motherfucker''.

and:

Quote:says he is gona kill us if we don’t stop closing accounts < lmao

Shadow governments, organizations, entities, and hands cannot be trusted.

ISIS is horrible, but that doesn't make whoever opposes ISIS noble. The US backed Iraq when it opposed Iran's Islamic State. That didn't make Iraq's forces virtuous. It didn't make the U.S. right in trying to reassert imperial control of Iran's economy and throne.

Anonymous is a rogue miscellany of vigilantes. On any given topic, one may agree or disagree with an illegal act. When I read "Anonymous struck down" accounts or websites, I immediately think, "who knows who was guilty or not?" In truth, we do not. We merely see a row of "bodies" laid out on the street and are expected to naively trust that they were all guilty.

What we do know is that self-appointed vigilantes have served as judges/juries/executioners in yet another instance. I don't find that trustworthy, wise, or virtuous. I find it arbitrary, dangerous, and manipulative without divulging all the facts.

Like overused antibiotics, this won't stamp out a problem, only force it to evolve into a more virulent and stealthy form.

Hardheaded1 Wrote:What we do know is that self-appointed vigilantes have served as judges/juries/executioners in yet another instance. I don't find that trustworthy, wise, or virtuous. I find it arbitrary, dangerous, and manipulative without divulging all the facts.

I dunno... sometimes I think the world needs more Batmen.

[Image: 3503035-3468468-2718720139-batma.jpg]

Hardheaded1 Wrote:ISIS is horrible, but that doesn't make whoever opposes ISIS noble.

i don't care about nobility. that's bullshit. nobody is noble.

however, anybody who opposes ISIS is in their right mind, and doing the right thing as far as i'm concerned. so i applaud Anonymous's conduct here.

it is a very good thing that governments, organizations, individuals, groups, etc speak up against ISIS. but it is entirely more meaningful when they actually back it up with their actions. Anonymous doesn't just talk or issue public statements. it takes action. and that is how it's done. not sitting around uselessly and looking on. and this is how Anonymous gets it right.

i have more to comment on what you said, but i don't have time right now. i'll get back to it later.

I love this response to ISIS. They aren't "Islamist Terrorists"...they are a band of psychopaths

The people they are recruiting from around the wold...they are "converting to Islam"? What a load of crap. They are murdering people for adultery,...throwing gay people off of buildings...there is a certain kind of person who is attracted to that kind of mayhem.

The people who were born into Islam or Christianity or any other religion...it isn't as if they chose it. It is forced on them...children can easily be conditioned and brainwashed...but these guys CHOSE this.

I think that cyberspace is the next battlefield anyway....I have for awhile now....it can (and probably will one day) bring all of us to our knees.

I think this move is brilliant...much better than doing nothing and wringing our hands...or sending troops to be captured and burned alive or beheaded.