Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Read Nonfiction Books?
We all seem to have our favorites but most everyone talks about fiction. Does anyone else have an interest in non fiction, IE history, current events, commentary, politics, etc. I'm just about to start the book about Blackwater, should be interesting as I've actually met a couple blackwater guys in Baghdad, we'll see how well the book stacks up, but I digress. Anyone else read anything interesting lately? Or see something that looks like you might want to read it?

Funny you should mention this. I nearly always read non-fiction books now. Went to the public library last week and among the choice is "Cromwell" "Tales from the Tower of London" "Until the final hour" [Hitlers secretary Traudle Junge] and, if you want fiction. "Making money" by Terry Prachett. A diskworld book. I have read every one and loved all of them.

I must admit I do like history, local and world topics. I don't read many books now, as I tend to find the info on the net. Much quicker and a bigger library online., also need less space, bookcases need dusting as well.

I love travel books. In my dreams I have been to Peru, Mexico etc. I could go there but wouldn't leave my dogs alone so long. So we end up going to Italy most years. My son recently gave me a book called the Spirit Level, which is about how the countries where wealth is more evenly distributed are actually much better places to live in - even for the rich. The UK and the USA don't come out very well. I'm still reading it.

Peter, when you finish the book let us know which countries we should move to. Xyxthumbs

i do like music biographys, been very musical and been in bands before im really into the machanics behind bands and what makes them tick, im a bit anal about that stuff (not pun intended).

i like the odd true crime thing too - the book called The Iceman - confessions of a mafia hitman was a fascinating look behind someone in the mafia, and completely dispells the myth of "men of honour" i'd hate to cross them for one!

Rychard,
So far Japan, Sweden and Finland seem to come out best. But I wouldn't move to those countries personally. Japan is too far from everywhere and Sweden and Finland are too cold. Just save up for a little holiday home in the Canary Islands or the Costa del Sol. That way you get sunshine and gorgeous men.

Thanks Peter, Sweden seems a good idea, but cost of living is high I believe. The Netherlands also seems a good country, regarding the Canaries maybe, whats the cost of living?

Peter,

If Finland is such a good place to live, why do they have so many suicides and so many alcoholics? Wink
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.