Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have Ocular Migraines? Crazy Huh?
After a bout of PTSD I usually have them for a few days. They aren't headaches. They are just bizarre obstructions and blind spots in your vision whether your eyes or closed or not. Some of you may have them and not know what they are.

Here are super short videos of what they're like.

This is close to what I have most the time. but they can take up to half my field of vision and last 45 minutes. Annoying as hell.

This is a "light" one.

Here's a Dr explaining them and showing 3 different types.

The ones like this are the ones that last the longest for me.

Oh God.

Yes I know these. I have had migraine related auras and blindspots since I was 10. I have had them last as long as a day before I recovered vision and mine are almost always like the last one you show. today, I am battling the onset of a general headache before it becomes a full-blown migraine and have the drapes pulled tight to make my dark office as dark as possible. At the moment....I am losing and suspect that it will be an early day for the boss.

But here's the thing from someone who had temp vision loss about a week and a half ago......you need to also make sure that you aren't having other issues with your eyes that may be related to other factors like potential stroke. Tell me that you report these to your doctor.

Hey Virge, I used to have these when I was younger and they stayed with me for years. To me it was like having a border of fire in my line of vision even with my eyes closed. This stopped about 20 years ago ( along with the migraines ) and has not come back. It was a very weird experience when I had them.
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!

Not really, but my sugar went down to 38 last night and the visuals were quite something.

I did have some serious floaters a couple of years back and that was a trip, but it passed.

These days, I simply have one eye that is much stronger than the other and glasses are not helping, so I only wear them for long distance use, like driving. I walk around all day with this lopsided feeling. Weird.
I bid NO Trump!

I get them, for me they usually mean a series of seizures (absence seizure usually, tonic clonic occasional).

Typically only in my left eye. I never thought they could be related to PTSD. I always assumed they were one of the epilepsy things, such as the deja-vu episodes I get

it sounds like the same thing my friend has and I feel so bad for him - we would be out and he would see coloured lights ..auras etc... he would have to get home immediately because he knew what was coming next - he would try to get to sleep hopefully before he was throwing up ....migraines are terrible things

Rareboy Wrote:Oh God.
But here's the thing from someone who had temp vision loss about a week and a half ago......you need to also make sure that you aren't having other issues with your eyes that may be related to other factors like potential stroke. Tell me that you report these to your doctor.

Oh yeah I keep things like that logged. I have to see the doctors for other things on a regular basis and I always get asked about the migraines so I whip out the log book I keep and confess. My first ones started when I was 21 at the Naval Hospital in DC. I came unglued! I have a full blown migraine >>maybe<< every 6 months that starts with the flashes around a grey spot in the center of my field of vision. When one of those starts I look at my watch and write down the time. If it's not over in an hour I know the right side of my head is about to explode with pain.

CarGuy65 Wrote:Hey Virge, I used to have these when I was younger and they stayed with me for years. To me it was like having a border of fire in my line of vision even with my eyes closed. This stopped about 20 years ago ( along with the migraines ) and has not come back. It was a very weird experience when I had them.
I know another guy who had them when he was young and had them just quit. They know it has a lot to do with blood flow in the brain and.... can often follow extreme periods of "fear." Most of mine happen 10 to 30 minutes after bad dreams.

matty7 Wrote:it sounds like the same thing my friend has and I feel so bad for him - we would be out and he would see coloured lights ..auras etc... he would have to get home immediately because he knew what was coming next - he would try to get to sleep hopefully before he was throwing up ....migraines are terrible things
I've had maybe fifteen or so like that. But that's enough to give me complete sympathy for people who have them on a regular basis. it's 36 to 48 hours that are impossible to describe and then at least another 24 hours before you feel halfway "right" again. I just counted back and my last one was in April. Good thing for me is I have a room mate who's an EMT and will give me shots to keep me out of it as much as possible.

I consider myself very lucky that I don't have them. I'd rather have my Proctalgia fugax
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

^ I've seen colours with that as well.

I've not seen colors, but I have passed out.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!