Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we really the 3-5%?
I remember hearing that homosexuals aren't actually the 10%, but more around the 3-5%. But from my personal experiences, I'm finding that hard to believe that we're such a small number. In my group of friends and acquaintances (mostly acquaintances) I know for sure of 5 gay, lesbian or bisexuals and possibly more that I'm not 100% sure of but have shown signs. I went to a friend of mine's prom and she introduced me to her friends, and of the 10 or so, there were 2 gay guys. At my college, there are plenty of LGBT students and our dorms actually have whole floors dedicated to them. And aside from that, it's not uncommon for me to see a somewhat stereotypical gay person walking on the street every now and then or two guys that look like a couple. And I keep hearing about girls complaining that when they find a good man, they always end up being gay. Plus, there seem to be so many gay celebrities now.
I guess...I've just been exposed to so much LGBT stuff that it's hard to imagine we're such a low number.

Maybe known LGTBs are the 5%....

I'm in the closet and not likely to admit publicly I'm gay yet, so, Will I be counted in that 5%?

Maybe it's about that, cause I also doubt the number is that low

The percentage rate is based on those who make public statements that they are "gay".

This does not include the quiet majority, the silent majority, and the "none of your fucking damn business who I am" majority.

My best guesstimate from the information I have gotten over the years, the actual REAL percentage rate is about 30%....and thats planet-wide, not specified to any one country.

I think the real number is much higher. The 3-5% is based on the Kinsey studies, which was the closest to a scientific study on sexuality that we have.

I can tell you this.
I live in Columbus, GA.
Population just under 200,000
In 2010 there were 23000 HIV patients that identified themselves as gay in Columbus GA

We all know many many people refuse to identify their sexuality publicly.

Do the math.

Richard

MisterTinkles Wrote:The percentage rate is based on those who make public statements that they are "gay".

This does not include the quiet majority, the silent majority, and the "none of your fucking damn business who I am" majority.

My best guesstimate from the information I have gotten over the years, the actual REAL percentage rate is about 30%....and thats planet-wide, not specified to any one country.

Yep im in the "none of your fucking damn buisness who i am" majority so thats one they didnt count.

There are a LOT more of us than anybody thinks.

Richard

I'm sure it's more than that, I'd say it's at least 10%. That just sounds about right. But, sexuality's not really a thing you can put cold hard statistics on. It's a very fluid thing.

Eg do you count drunk boys who get naked one night and touch each other?

It's not something you can put a number on. Whatever number, it's going to be more or less inaccurate.

Really, everybodys gay, its the best kept secret. The earth human cycle was only estimated to last 70 years, then we all started humping the opposite sex!

Yeah I always think about this every time I drive by
the Football/Soccer field on the way to my mom's work.

There's always a ton of really cute guys over there playing and it
always makes me think to myself..

"I'm sure one if not a lot of those guys are gay..."

..and well every time I walk pass by a massive group of guys I
always tell myself, "Uh oh.. there's more than ten of them, I'm sure
one or two of them are gay..!" haha

But yeah, I like to believe that you can't really go by statistics,
this board alone shows that there are still plenty of people who
are gay that's still in the closet.

I've always thought it was 10%?

It's hard to estimate, though, because so many people don't come out because of various reasons..