Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we really the 3-5%?
If I had to spit out a number I thought was accurate I'd say 20%.

Richard

TonyAndonuts Wrote:I remember hearing that homosexuals aren't actually the 10%, but more around the 3-5%. But from my personal experiences, I'm finding that hard to believe that we're such a small number. In my group of friends and acquaintances (mostly acquaintances) I know for sure of 5 gay, lesbian or bisexuals and possibly more that I'm not 100% sure of but have shown signs. I went to a friend of mine's prom and she introduced me to her friends, and of the 10 or so, there were 2 gay guys. At my college, there are plenty of LGBT students and our dorms actually have whole floors dedicated to them. And aside from that, it's not uncommon for me to see a somewhat stereotypical gay person walking on the street every now and then or two guys that look like a couple. And I keep hearing about girls complaining that when they find a good man, they always end up being gay. Plus, there seem to be so many gay celebrities now.
I guess...I've just been exposed to so much LGBT stuff that it's hard to imagine we're such a low number.

But then the saying goes: "birds of a feather flock together", so it might just be that you're meeting more gays than the average person would. It's also often reported that gays are more likely to pursue higher education studies, so again the chances are that there's a greater concentration of gays in universities than across the normal age class. However, that figure comes from statistics that have been collated by asking people questions about their sexual orientation. Since many gay men either don't realise it or don't want to acknowledge it, or deny it (for whatever purpose is theirs), it's not surprising that the statistics have such a low number. I'm assuming this number means men who've only ever had feelings and / or sex with only male partners. As for MSM (men who have sex with men), many don't even think of themselves as gay, so why would they tell the statistics that they are. Maybe they are in complete denial too.

I consider myself gay and yet I've had a relationship with a woman, therefore I should probably fall within the bisexual category. Now with hindsight, I don't think I was bisexual, but definitely gay.

I think we're around 10%... But who knows, maybe that's true... There are a bilion of people there, and so much people is gay but they refuses to say that!

Years ago there was a study done by our (Here in SA) LBGT organisation and it was set at approximately 7% of the population has had same sex relations and would do so again

Does it really matter?

The point is the prevalence of same sex orientation is significant enough that same sex orientation is to be considered normal behaviour

Quote:New Zealand[edit source
In an anonymous survey of 8,000 New Zealand secondary school students conducted by the University of Auckland, 0.9% of those surveyed reported exclusive attraction to the same sex, 3.3% to both sexes and 1.8% to neither.

I THINK I WAS PART OF THIS SURVEY!....
Also the year I came out.

If i was to pick a number it'd be more something like 1%

Since "gay" is a common insult, at least here in the US, I guess a lot of people are gay. That TV show you love is really gay too. So is your last Youtube comment. Let's up that number to 150% since everything is so gay lately.

If you want to chop this up into cities or areas, then I would say that Hollywood is about 60%.

I really doubt it, I know plenty of gay guys and only a small percent will admit it. I'd say the original 10% number is probably pretty accurate.

if its 10% then ive more chance of finding rocking horse crap than a bf where I live, mining towns are so macho, or so it seems