Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you a Do-It-Yourselfer?
[SIZE="5"]Are you a Do-It-Yourself type of person?
Or do you always have things done for you?[/SIZE]

[Image: Fotolia_37874649_XS.jpg]

Personally, my granny always told me to learn how to do for myself. It is more viable that I know how to do things for myself, as I would not have to depend on people that much.

So, I have learned how to do a lot - sewing, knitting, carpentry, painting, some woodworking, laying tile, laying carpet, working on my vehicles (as long as its mechanical, I dont know anything about computerized stuff), light plumbing, light electrical, and all that kind of thing....

I'm fairly self-sufficient....

except when it comes to handy jobs..

southbiochem Wrote:I'm fairly self-sufficient....

except when it comes to handy jobs..

Hmm, for a second, I read that as "hand jobs".......LMAORofl

MisterTinkles Wrote:Hmm, for a second, I read that as "hand jobs".......LMAORofl

....mmm.....well certainly it would be so much better to get a hand job done for you, no?...

nah, anyway, thank goodness I have my dad..

I usually can set up easy stuff but if it's too damn tricky I need someone else to do it

Yes as much as possible...

Even the mechanical stuffs... I search the steps online and do it by myself.

I remember i dropped my phone in the toilet before... I thought it was already dead since the touch screen is not responsive. But then i searched online for the solution, opened the damn phone, did something on the inside and it worked. Technicians would probably ask me for an expensive fee if ever

Yes and no. I am certainly able to do a lot of things for myself, but I am lazy. If I care enough, I will do anything by myself. Otherwise I'll pay someone else. It also comes down to my budget at the moment.

I'm too much of a control freak to let others do stuff for me lol. Hell, I even give my self back massages, because I know my own body better than anyone else could and the right areas and points to target.

I mean, I like having stuff done for me sometimes, especially if I'm busy, but if I can, I'd prefer to do it myself, except when it comes to like Mechanical/Vehicular/Lifting stuff lolz.

I can do Electrical work, I even have a Basic/Novice certificate in NCCER, OSHA and all that biz, however I'm better at the book/theory stuff rather than practical and I'm pretty good with designing and constructing things, particularly Habitats for animals, however I severely lack physical constitution to lift many/heavy things, so often require help in that department.

I've always wanted to know how everything works and do it myself, but I guess I'm 75%DiY and 25% Lazy ass Rofl

I like doing things by myself!
It's funny, cheaper, most of times ecological and also more and more interesting than going into a boring shop...

I'm also the kind of stupid person who thinks: "Hey, why I cannot do it by myself? I'm still not able to do an easy thing like ******?" ...

Yeah.. in more ways that one.. haaa.

..but every time I go to shops or Ikea and I see something that I want
I will try and look at the object and see if I can make it myself. It's usually
small room decor/craft-y type stuff, so it's do-able..

Sometimes with the cost of one already made item, you can already make
several of them cheaply if you just go to the craft shop/Home Depot and
buy the materials and put the effort into making it..

I'm already good with my hands so.. <____<

Ohh.. and check this place out if you want.. They really have cool
repurposed Ikea furnitures/products and turned them into something new..

http://www.ikeahackers.net

I was a very enthusiastic DIYer but as time goes on I'm getting a little lazy and at times I get things done for me. But even if I do say so myself, when I set to it the end results are usually pretty good. The photo shows an example of my work. I made those two sofas.

I can do very basic electrical work and basic plumbing etc. Many years ago in the time of LPs (vinyl records), I even made a pick up arm that played records at an incredibly low weight, but my true forte is furniture I suppose.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams