Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asexuality
Okay, this occurred to me when I first joined but I didn't think much of it.
We have no "Asexual" option on this site! And as an asexual young woman I find this a bit peeving. I clicked "bisexual" on the options for the simple fact there was no asexual option. Plus I don't like explaining to others that I have the same attraction to men and women but it's pretty much nonexistent either way.

I've tried many times to explain to my mother who is in a loveless, sexless marriage that when I look for someone to date, I don't look at their gender and the only part of their physical appearance I look at is how well they're put together (I'm not dating a slob). I've tried so hard to explain that I don't want a physical relationship with anyone, but more of an emotional romance.
Well, she never understood and few people I've ever talked to understood either...hell I think a majority of those that understood just nodded their heads to get me to shut up...

Anyway, it's just a bit of a thought: why is asexuality so overlooked and misunderstood?

(Sorry for the scattered train of thought. I'm sick so my brain is working at just about half capacity lol)

i think people confuse "asexuality" with "celibacy" a lot of the time and think it's just a choice rather than a sexual orientation

i don't know . i don't know much about it

Generally speaking, asexuals don't have the same political & social problems that the LGBT crowd does. Marriage usually isn't an issue, they're not seen as vile sinners who bring God's wrath down in the form of 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina, they're not physically menaced or discriminated against for being asexual, etc. And while many misunderstand and just think asexuals are prudes or celibates instead of an orientation, they're not otherwise as thought of in such a way that parents try to keep their kids away from them or that they're automatically damned to hell and trying to "indoctrinate children into asexuality." So all in all, the asexual community has very different circumstances to deal with than the LGBT.

I speak as a demisexual who has known plenty of asexuals. And I certainly welcome you here. Confusedmile:

I think Isaac Newton was asexual. I've got his autobiography somewhere and I think that's right. You are in very good company!

I think a lot of people just don't really comprehend the idea of Asexuality. Most of us, myself included, are so focused on sex even when we're not actively thinking about it that the concept is very foreign. Humans tend not to like what they don't understand.

That being said, you are very welcome here and I look forward to learning from you.

Richard

As an admitted horny bastard who ironically gets tired of hearing people talk about getting laid all the time, I wholeheartedly welcome people who are virtually guaranteed not to talk about getting laid all the time.

Haha XD I do suppose it's true on the fact that asexuality isn't as hated as others in the LGBT community, though I have gotten a few nasty looks, though I guess it's because of the lack of common knowledge on the subject and when I do get questions they just ask why I don't just say I'm bi or most interesting "Then how do you expect to have kids?" like asking asexual people don't have sex period. I've also been asked if it means I reproduce by budding e_e Stupid people are stupid...

There was a time when I thought I was a Homoromantic Asexual (theres quite a bit of Asexual terminology) but I realised with my ex that I was just waiting for someone I liked to be the first one for me to do anything with. I have respect for Asexuals who actually step forward though, its unheard of in many places to have someone who's not wired for sex in some way.

I agree the lack of asexual option is strange but all the options seem a bit strange, why do I have to describe my sexuality on a forum that is not primarily a dating site. When people meet me I don't immediately declare 101 things about me. This is a gay friendly forum so obviously will attract a majority of gays, but why declare it when it has no context. If it's relevant I will tell you I am a gay, atheist, middle-class, white, dog-loving, olive-eating, occasional drunk, parsimonious person.

so why are only random posts of mine checked by moderators, pisses me off