Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automotive tips and hints
There is no forum for this, so I put it in the chit chat section.

I learned to work on my own vehicle when I was in high school, and have been learning more ever since.
If its easy enough, or something I know I can do, then I do it. Saves me a hell of a lot of money (money which I dont have in the first place) and I know its done right, because I did it...so I dont have to worry about if the mechanic is doing something ELSE to my vehicle for it to "break" later on and have to take it back in.

I learned a lot from my Uncles growing up, along with reading and find things out on my own. Youtube videos are SO helpful!!!

If you know about automotive mechanics, and have some simple tips or hints on general upkeep/repairs of vehicles, then let us know!! Most of this stuff is geared for older or used vehicles, but the hints and tips work for vehicles of all ages and types.

Here are some of my general "rules" for preventative maintenance:

****Find a reliable, honest, and trustworthy mechanic. Even if they are a few miles away, it's better than getting ripped off by a mechanic closer to you. I find my mechanics through the Better Business Bureau, and I have never had a problem with them.
My mechanics even answer my silly assed questions over the phone. They know I will only use them for my automotive needs, and I tell them this on my first visit. I also let them know if they are always completely honest with me at all times, I will always use their services and tell others about them.

*If you have a weird smell or sound coming from your vehicle, check it out immediately with a reliable, certified mechanic. It could be nothing or it could be the start of something costly. Its always best to "nip it in the bud".

*I keep a spare key in my wallet, for my vehicle and my apartment. Or you can give a set to a trusted relative or friend who you absolutely trust to help you out if needed. Or you can keep a spare on a chain around your neck.
No this doesnt work too well with these computer keys that have large heads on them, but for older vehicles that dont have computer keys, this works well.

*An "emergency" kit to keep in your vehicle:
A working flashlight
A roll of paper towels
A large cloth towel
A gallon of clean water (for you or the vehicle)
One can of "fix a flat"
One roll of good grade duct tape
One wire hangar
One plastic pancho
One flathead screwdriver
One phillips head screwdriver
One pair of needle nose pliers/wire cutters
One small emergency kit for human needs (ointment, bandages, etc..)

*It is safer to always drive with your headlights on (low beams), as if you are in an accident and they happen to ask if your lights were on, you can say "yes". Supposedly having your headlights on diminishes the fact that the other person cant say "I didnt see them". But this is for the USA, I dont know about other countries.

*Regardless of who you learn these from, you should know them:
How to change a tire
How to properly put fuel in
How to change oil and how to check it
Where to put in radiator fluid and how to check it
How to put air in a tire and check it
How to check transmission fluid
How to check brake fluid

*Your vehicle needs a basic check up at least every six months:
Tire wear and tear
Brake pads and shoes
All fluids
Shocks
Air filters

*Learn to know the difference between bad tires and needing a wheel alignment.

*Learn to know the difference between needing brake pad/shoe replacements and bad rotors or wheels.

*ALWAYS get a second opinion on car maintenance, unless its something you cant wait on or an emergency. The more "opinions" you have the better off you will be...there are too many rip off artists out there. The more YOU know, the better off you are also.

*Keep your windows clean. I cant stand a dirty windshield. I have a bottle of window cleaner and paper towels in my truck at all times.

*Keep a list of emergency numbers in your glovebox, along with any medications you need and for what reasons you need them as well as the dosage and your Dr.s name and phone number. Also an emergency personal contact number. And if you have any conditions or allergies to certain things. Title this "EMERGENCY INFORMATION".

Most people just buy a vehicle and leave it at that. You have to think of it as an extension of part of you. If you dont take care of it, it will fail you. If you dont keep an eye on it, it will suffer problems. Vehicles cost a lot of money, why would you waste all that money by not taking care of it??

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS272kRMDRhXD2LjxX6wDR...29f_4lflLO]

Agreed.

Also, get good at google searches related to your car. Car repairs don't have to be scary, and most of the stuff that will go awry is stuff you can fix yourself with a little courage, some common sense, and a lot of research. Chilton offers online e-books now where you can get directions and diagrams for your specific vehicle for like $27/year.

It's also handy to know when/how to google for car repair information for your specific vehicle because you never know what you can get out of it. I recently found out that Mazda had a steering pump recall that affected my specific car...which was AWESOME because mine was starting to go so I got it replaced for free.

Also, never use off-brand gas. EVER. I don't care how much cheaper it is. That can lead to some costly repairs.

And, while we're talking about gas - if your car requires super or premium gasoline - use it. I know when we're at the pump and it's $0.30 more/gallon our tendency is to freak out and say "screw that" but put it in perspective. 30 cents more per gallon in a 12 gallon tank is only an extra $3.60. Yeah, that $3.60/trip can add up, but it can go a long way to keeping you from doing other necessary maintenance prematurely.

Things have become definitely less costly and easier after my truck through a rod through its oil pan and that the State of California took my license away after my minor episode of status epilepticus.

Had I know how much money I would save without having to pay DMV for licesne, registration, smog etc. etc. etc. and the insurance - plus the money for gas and maintaining a vehicle, I would have hit my head with a hammer repeatedly just o have status epilepticus so I would have that hassle.:biggrin: