Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backpacking
Didn't really know a better place to put this...you could say it is a sport.

So in effort to be better prepared to do a self supported bicycle tour I also want to do some backpacking and pretty excited about doing that.

I have done some camping before but with the aid of having a car and basically you can bring everything including the kitchen sink... So you're pretty much limited to what you can bring on your back. So looking to reach out to those who have done some backpacking over a few days. I plan on doing a 30 mile trail here in the area which will take 2-3 days for me to do which has a good bit of climbing, primitive but well marked based on the research I have done.

I have got pretty much all the gear I will need:

Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleep Mat
Sterno Stove w/ "Canned Heat" (also have lighters)
Flash light & Head lamp
Sawyer Mini Water filter, 950 mL water bottle and 2 Liter hydration pack
Cooking Set
Off bug Spray (definitely need that here in the south)
TP & Sanitary wipes
Hand Sanitizer
Trail Stool

All of this stuff fits in my backpack or can latch of with a carabiner and so far is less than 15% of my weight...

One of my questions concerns bears. We have black bears here, thankfully no grizzly bears, but those who have hiked in areas where bears may be present is it necessary to have bear spray? Any tips on that end of it. I will be doing the hike alone...or likely will be anyway. So any advice...on anything really would be great.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

A bug veil might be useful. A ground cloth for under the tent.

Ditch the stool. Better yet return it and get your money back. That is 1 - 2 pounds of bulky weight you'll be hauling around when you can just sit on a log or rock or on the ground. A stool is crappy for car camping and burdensome for backpacking.

30 miles is way too far for your first outing, especially if alone and inexperienced. You will learn just as much on a single overnight 10 mile round trip.

Have some water purification tablets as a backup in case your filter breaks and you don't have enough fuel to boil water.

Practice cooking a meal or two in the backyard at home using all the equipment you'll carry. That will give you the experience and allow you to make changes before you head out.

If you are in black bear country the main issue a bear being interested in your food. Learn about how to safely store your food away from your camp site so you don't have a bear encounter or find all your food and gear wrecked.

Wear hiking shoes that you've already broken in. Bring basic first aid. Be prepared for treating blisters, cuts, bites, burns, sprains, and pain. If you're lucky you won't use it!

Try to find an experienced backpacker for your first trip out if possible. If not, do a well-used trail so you aren't too far out on your own.

Sounds like a good adventure!

Camfer Wrote:A bug veil might be useful. A ground cloth for under the tent.

Ditch the stool. Better yet return it and get your money back. That is 1 - 2 pounds of bulky weight you'll be hauling around when you can just sit on a log or rock or on the ground. A stool is crappy for car camping and burdensome for backpacking.

30 miles is way too far for your first outing, especially if alone and inexperienced. You will learn just as much on a single overnight 10 mile round trip.

Have some water purification tablets as a backup in case your filter breaks and you don't have enough fuel to boil water.

Practice cooking a meal or two in the backyard at home using all the equipment you'll carry. That will give you the experience and allow you to make changes before you head out.

If you are in black bear country the main issue a bear being interested in your food. Learn about how to safely store your food away from your camp site so you don't have a bear encounter or find all your food and gear wrecked.

Wear hiking shoes that you've already broken in. Bring basic first aid. Be prepared for treating blisters, cuts, bites, burns, sprains, and pain. If you're lucky you won't use it!

Try to find an experienced backpacker for your first trip out if possible. If not, do a well-used trail so you aren't too far out on your own.

Sounds like a good adventure!

30 miles is a lot and the trail isn't the easiest so that's probably good advice. Not sure I want to ditch the stool just yet, but if I find it to be a pain in the ass I'll sell it or something, fairly inexpensive. I'll look at a first aid kid...and yes hopefully I won't have to use it.

The food I will bring will be those dried packages of food, however, I imagine they can still smell through the sealed packaging... I'll have to look at how to deal with the food storage....

Here's the problem, no one I know either wants to go or will go...so kind of why I'm going at everything alone. I'd love to have someone who's more experienced to come with but I'm coming up empty handed.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

i backpacked across the whole European continent twice over after i got out of high school. some of the most memorable experiences of my life. and it's definitely something i'd do again. it's a way to become acquainted with the world.

i might check back in and comment on this topic a bit more later on.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004371O2O/ref...B0002YSWIQ

Frontiersman Bear Spray - Maximum Strength & Maximum Range - 35 Feet (9.2 oz) Or 30 Feet (7.9 oz)
get whichever one has good capacity and the furthest spray distance!

SilverBullet Wrote:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004371O2O/ref...B0002YSWIQ

Frontiersman Bear Spray - Maximum Strength & Maximum Range - 35 Feet (9.2 oz) Or 30 Feet (7.9 oz)
get whichever one has good capacity and the furthest spray distance!

That's a lot less expensive than what I seen on REI...I think the spray distances were about the same...

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have a can just in case...even more so if I do bike touring... Dogs are a problem in some areas, most just chase, but not all of them.

It does seem that food storage is a common issue...so hopefully I don't make the same mistakes...
Check out my stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/Quake-Kare-2GQK-P...B0007VSLK8
^ water tabs

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Pr...mping+MREs
^ MRE's

Other things to think about, if you have not yet Smile

SilverBullet Wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Quake-Kare-2GQK-P...B0007VSLK8
^ water tabs

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Pr...mping+MREs
^ MRE's

Other things to think about, if you have not yet Smile

I got the Sawyer mini for water purification, I imagine that will be an issue on multi-day trips... I didn't get tablets, I read that they taste terrible lol...but I suppose in a pinch...of course could just drink the water from a stream as a last resort...

I did get the Mountain House...I got the Stroganoff lol Going to try it tonight and see what I'm going to be eating lol. I was surprised to see that Wal-Mart had that sort of stuff lol

I'm definitely trying to take my time and think things out...don't want to be 12 miles out and go oh you know what I forgot... Kind of like my 35 miles bike ride where I realize 12 miles in that I forgot sunscreen...
Check out my stuff!

Yeah the pills maybe overkill ^_^, I would only suggest them as to my knowledge filtration systems are incapable of killing and filtering all bacteria. To my knowledge they will simply make the water taste better by removing debris and metals/some chemicals and etc. (But I could be way off Tongue) anyway seems a combination of the two would be ideal Wink and would certainly beat a good dose of upset stomach and diarrhea on the trail xD. If you run into really questionable water though you could always boil it first! Big Grin

I think you will be surprised how the MRE's taste ^_^, some aren't too bad!

(just looked up your filtration and dang!) much better rated than I expected!
"The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium"
the pills would probably not be needed ^_^

I did do a lot of research...there's UV filters but they're really expensive.. There's also the Life Straw but I didn't really like the idea of literally getting down into the stream and drinking directly from it or scooping up water into a bottle and all that...There were other options but I think the sawyer mini is probably the best for the price....and it was relatively inexpensive too..

I definitely don't want to end up sick on the trail somewhere, not only as shitty situation can easily get dehydrated... I think the creek is probably clean enough to simply drink straight from the stream but why risk it if you don't have to.

Hopefully I can do one night soon and try out everything...Although I suppose I could do the back yard but that's just not as fun...
Check out my stuff!