Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits legal warning to UK over cash for EU nationals
Folk in 1937 would have looked at you in disbelief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Folk in 1937 would have looked at you in disbelief.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]And it would have been understandable if I had made that statement in 1937, look how many families had loved ones lost in the Great War, it must have been still very raw experience and the fact they were still putting up monuments to the fallen well into the 1930s. In fact there were books coming out like 'All Quiet on the Western Front' That novel was first published in November and December 1928 in the German newspaper Vossische Zeitung and in book form later on in January 1929. (it was a anti-war novel) So there was no appetite for war amongst the general population. PS my grandfather who had been a professional soldier considered Churchill a war-monger.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sadly the UK and EU are not the only ones with this problem. In Australia we have our 'boat people' or illegal immigrants, who upon landing on our shores get benefits that amount to twice was a pensioner gets, and our pensioners have given blood, sweat and tears to our great country for 40+ years.

We can't offend those illeegal immigrants coming to our shores illegally...that just wouldn't be fair now would it

dfiant Wrote:Sadly the UK and EU are not the only ones with this problem. In Australia we have our 'boat people' or illegal immigrants, who upon landing on our shores get benefits that amount to twice was a pensioner gets, and our pensioners have given blood, sweat and tears to our great country for 40+ years.

We can't offend those illeegal immigrants coming to our shores illegally...that just wouldn't be fair now would it

Hi Dfiant, put me right but I'm sure the Australians have a more robust deportation regime than we do in Britain, once an illegal immigrant lands on British shores, it's almost impossible to send them back because of the The European Convention on Human Rights. And one section of this Convention has been really abused, it would seem that every illegal immigrant in Britain would appear to be fear of reprisal if they were returned home, below is that section.
"The European Convention on Human Rights, prevents the UK sending someone to a country where there is a genuine risk that they will be exposed to torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."

Same Human Rights issues Almac...impossible to send them back, we have tens of thousands in 'processing' or 'detention' centres across Australia (Christmas Island is the primary one) and off shore (Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Nauru

As my partner and I have been unemployed for a long while now, I cannot offer official statistics but a personal opinion on the subject -

From my part-time work of recent years there is certainly a bias towards employing foreign nationals and immigrants, and with good reason - they will do the work that English nationals refuse to do, and they do it unquestioningly to a good standard. Often they don't drink, smoke, waste time or belittle the job. At Royal Mail, when asked who would take extra shifts or overtime, the local population chuckled cynically and kept their hands down while most of the foreign students and parents leapt at the chance. That epitomised to me the current attitude towards menial work for the general population of Great Britain. Luxurious society has made us scoff at the thrifty, and expect something much better.

The Jobseekers system is also broken, staffed mostly by people of equally low expectations who are forced to meet targets and quotas set by government. Their job and wage is not worth their time to take an interest in you, and as such they will simply try to push people into any job, or any training scheme to lighten the books. Before a previous job I was almost made to go to a backwater college for only TWO hours a week to learn basic computing and jobsearching techniques; I already have an A level in the subject.

There are enough by-laws and rules to prevent training or academic qualifications while unemployed, as this makes you ineligible for finding work, so self-improvement becomes either impossible to fund, or you would have to commit benefit fraud whilst studying to better yourself. However part-time menial jobs of similar hours are absolutely fine, a contradiction. Grants are available to the young, however these have proved to be ineffective and are simply another means of improving youth unemployment figures. It's really about pushing the unemployed into different categories, spreading the sh*t a little thinner so it looks better.

My advisor told me 40% of Jobseeker's contracts are to be outsourced to a private company, which frankly sounds terrible. I have never seen anything good come of privatisation for the patrons using the services at a ground level. Making money from the unemployed now in the form of government contracts and sponsorships.

The Richard Littlejohn approach of blaming immigration is far too easy, when to my perception it seems there are a massive group of people (myself included) who are disillusioned with their government, the aspirations of modern society, the standard of work, and the repeated pain of kick after kick on the unemployment ladder.