Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bento Lunchboxes
So I sometimes make bento-style lunchboxes to take to school. I used to make 1-2 a week, but now it's down to like 1 per term. Tongue I made one today, and it took about 1 hour and a half to make...

good thing exams are only in a couple weeks. Tongue

Today's composition:

top layer: creme fraiche omelette, doubanjiang chicken karaage.

bottom layer: coriander salad with a chinkiang vinegar and worcestershire reduction, butter chicken vegetables and mushrooms, chopped celery.

Starch: Spaghetti with garlic and white wine sauce.

O____O You can see why this took 1.5 hours... I got carried away especially considering that these were 2 tablespoons-sized portions...

Do you ever make elaborate multi-portion lunches to take to work/school/other

And also, share pictures of those fun artsy fartsy lunchboxes that those crazee enthusiasts make for competitions.

Oh crap I just realised I have to eat this while walking tomorrow. O_O I have to rush to somewhere else on wednesday. I packed chopsticks AND a fork because of how difficult it is to eat...

Sounds like yum gimme somee!

If you become one of those crazy contest bento box makers can you marry me? I love bento boxes but the competition and artsy ones make my day. NO HELLO KITTY ONES please Smile

Unless all that was leftovers, it sounds like you put in a LOT of effort for lunch. Food is a passion though!

Oh, wow, so I googled o-bento contests...

[Image: Angry-Birds-Bento-Box.jpg]

[Image: img_7042-1wtmk.jpg]

[Image: dannychoo_bento.jpg]

[Image: site_21_rand_391200302_charaben2.jpg]

:eek:

Honestly, I can imagine making a fruitsalad and put it in a box to take with me, but I think I would just grab an apple and go... Smile

But I don't understand one thing. If you have a backpack, or kids have a some kind of school bag, how do you prevent it from tilting over which would cause all the things mixing together? Because some of the boxes don't seem to have many little "compartments"

Wow, thats neat. Never heard of "bento" before.

And whats wrong with Hello Kitty???? I LOVE Hello Kitty!
Well, my favorite is ChocoCat.

[Image: tumblr_let9gyJTa91qaobu4o1_500.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA2IliQvbCD7lRHsMzCEk...obdh660Ggm]

Nick9 Wrote:Oh, wow, so I googled o-bento contests...

[Image: Angry-Birds-Bento-Box.jpg]

[Image: img_7042-1wtmk.jpg]

[Image: dannychoo_bento.jpg]

[Image: site_21_rand_391200302_charaben2.jpg]

:eek:

Honestly, I can imagine making a fruitsalad and put it in a box to take with me, but I think I would just grab an apple and go... Smile

But I don't understand one thing. If you have a backpack, or kids have a some kind of school bag, how do you prevent it from tilting over which would cause all the things mixing together? Because some of the boxes don't seem to have many little "compartments"

In Japan I believe schoolchildren generally carry their lunchboxes separately, in a little cloth bag that they carry by hand.

My one is two tiered, so it's a long tall box that can stand up in my bag.

o_o I think I'll stick to making my cakes beautiful. xD

I wonder what food they even use to make those things! All those intricate patterns certainly can't be cut out in a slice of ham Tongue

OMG to bring up an old topic...

Do you know how hard it is to find a bento box (the container) in Sydney that isn't either;
A - Cheap and ugly (just stackable tupperware containers basically)
or
B - HELLO KITTTTTEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH *peace symbol curtsey* levels of kawaii shit that I don't really want in my bag at work.

Sad I just want a decent looking, sturdy well designed on. Preferably 2 levels.

similar to this, but preferably those more oblong stack-able kinds with the rubber band to hold them together.
[Image: bento090914-01.jpg]

Shiner Wrote:OMG to bring up an old topic...

Do you know how hard it is to find a bento box (the container) in Sydney that isn't either;
A - Cheap and ugly (just stackable tupperware containers basically)
or
B - HELLO KITTTTTEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHH *peace symbol curtsey* levels of kawaii shit that I don't really want in my bag at work.

You might be able to order one off Ebay from Japan.
If you have a china town near you, they might have some there. ^^