Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit? That's it!!
Well, the UK has democratically decided to leave the European Union. I'm still reeling from the shock. So what is this really about? Fear played a great part of it and once more the evil magicians of politics have reared some ugly heads. Some that remind us of the last century's woes and divisions. I really don't see how this decision is going to make the UK safer, more economically prosperous and even politically united. What's more the Captain is leaving the boat (understandably). But who's going to be at the helm? I hate to think of what might come next, not just in the UK but also around the world. Young people are crushed (80% of them wanted to remain European). I think what shocked me most was how selfish this makes the UK seem. I won't tar everyone with the same brush because it was a 52-48% divide, but I wish they had given the 16-year olds, who are mainly concerned with the UK they're left with, the right to have their say.
Up to us now to change and reform, as the media put it, time to pick up our tools and rebuild.
Good luck, United Kingdom! Good luck, Europe!

*sigh*
The political and economic future looks very bleak.

Boris Johnson is likely to be our next Prime Minister

Immigration was the biggest factor. And the problems people perceive it to cause wont be improved by leaving the EU. Which will just lead to more discontent with the establishment.
UKIP may seriously be a party of government if such plays out.

Labour looks set to lose support to UKIP whenever Boris Johnson calls the next election,
So whatever happens, Conservative governments look set to govern for at least a decade or two.
Labour might turn anti-immigrant in a desperate attempt to stay relevant. Who knows, all I know is Corbyn will be blamed for this and will get the boot pretty soon.

We have 40 years of trade agreements and legislation(mostly regulatory) that we have to trust the Conservatives to rewrite.

Scotland will have another referendum, and is more likely to leave the UK.

Northern Ireland's situation looks like it could deteriorate.

Who knows what's going to happen with Gibraltar.

The £ has plummeted, and the FTSE isn't looking good either.
A downturn looks very likely. So we have more cuts and privatisation to look forward to; as well as a rise in unemployment and homelessness.

But we can "take back control" now, of our borders and sovereignty, so who cares, right?
*grumble grumble grumble*
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

What I found the most annoying with the leave campaign is how they seemed to be lying all along about that famous control. A control that could have been implemented anyway, if the UK had wanted to. Nobody stopped Hungary closing their borders to the immigrants from the Middle East, even if Europe didn't want that to happen. There was a total failure of the European Union to come up with tactful and clever solutions to monitor this influx, and Hungary closing its borders did nothing to help a desperate situation. So what's to say that the UK will suddenly become a non desirable place to live for migrants? I think nothing will change. As for EU rulings, they will continue to be implemented by the UK if they want to trade with countries in that institution. Indeed the EU needs to be reformed, but to leave the game totally, in this day and age of globalisation, sounds like a very poor and desperate idea. And now I'd better get on with my work, which is teaching English, to people who might prefer to have the USA and Canada as economic partners. Good luck to you anyhow, [MENTION=2362]Genersis[/MENTION].

wow .. this is very surprising .. but i wish the best for both parties ..i was never really comfortable with the EU, so i m quite glad that the UK left it. how i see it from here, UK will come out as more "elite" like how i see Switzerland .. hehe ..

The region of the UK that really gauls me is Northern England. They're angry because of they're victims of extreme economic disparity.

But that has nothing to do with the EU.

princealbertofb Wrote:What I found the most annoying with the leave campaign is how they seemed to be lying all along about that famous control. A control that could have been implemented anyway, if the UK had wanted to. Nobody stopped Hungary closing their borders to the immigrants from the Middle East, even if Europe didn't want that to happen. There was a total failure of the European Union to come up with tactful and clever solutions to monitor this influx, and Hungary closing its borders did nothing to help a desperate situation. So what's to say that the UK will suddenly become a non desirable place to live for migrants? I think nothing will change. As for EU rulings, they will continue to be implemented by the UK if they want to trade with countries in that institution. Indeed the EU needs to be reformed, but to leave the game totally, in this day and age of globalisation, sounds like a very poor and desperate idea.
If only 16 and 17 year olds had the vote, and the youth vote turn out had increased as much as the rest of the vote things would look very different.
Once again, they're under represented in the result.

Oh well, will be interesting to keep an eye on the EU and see how it changes to avoid a complete breakup, if it can.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

And if only e-pats. had been allowed to vote the ending might have been different. As it is there is a call for a second referendum:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/bre...99996.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politi...u-11520681

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/n...t-11520725

Any British Citizen or Resident can sign the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Scotland will get another referendum and I hope the answer is totally different from the last time. Fear played a big part in it. Boris Johnson our next prime minister. Then don't take about trump

i hardly know anything abt the UK, but I wish the best for it ..

This has to have been the most stupid and truly unconsidered decision ever!
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams