Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burger King renamed itself for pride in Mexico
[Image: 1593205111766.jpg]

For some the word 'queer' is a defiant and unifying umbrella term to cover non-straight sexualities but for others remembering its use as a derogatory insult - prefer not to apply it to themselves. Perhaps for that reason, it's a term that many big corporates shy away from adopting, instead opting to just co-opt the rainbow flag instead.

Not so for Burger King in Mexico, which this past weekend used 'Queer' to mark Pride season. The fast-food chain changed its logo to 'Burger Queer' and produced some rainbow wrapping and tote bags for its menu items, which customers could order to be delivered via local delivery service, Rappi (a business similar to Uber Eats).

Burger King Mexico posted about 'Burger Queer' to its social media channels on Friday, prompting thousands of comments. Many came from homophobes outraged that the brand was celebrating LGBTQ Pride. Some applauded the gesture, while others were just a little confused.

The brand also changed its Facebook cover photo to feature rainbow-coloured moustaches (like the moustache used on the Burger King mascot), and the word 'A Tu Manera', which translates as 'Your Way'. The temporary change is expected to last for the remainder of Pride Month.

This is not the first time the burger brand has marked Pride around the world. It previously sold a 'Proud' rainbow-wrapped Whopper in the US.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

i think that awesome - i wonder why they cannot do that in other countries , not seen it in the UK although we are just re opening.
might be controversial but why not claim back the word Queer as an insult in the same way people of colour took back the N word

(07-02-2020, 09:32 PM)matty7 Wrote: i think that awesome - i wonder why they cannot do that in other countries , not seen it in the UK although we are just re opening.
might be controversial but why not claim back the word Queer as an insult in the same way people of colour took back the N word
Not sure what you mean with this:“claim back the word Queer as an insult“? Black people use the n-word as a term of endearment, but nobody else is supposed to use it.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.