Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID VACCINE

Directed at the 70 million odd supporters of Donald Skunk.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • eastofeden

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Cridders88, LONDONER

This literally couldn't be more apt @InbetweenDreams!
[-] The following 1 member Likes Cridders88's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

*sigh* We are a nation of extremes. We have some of the best athletes and then we have a show called "My 600lb Life," some of the brightest people and some of the biggest fucking dullards on the planet....you can get which one is getting a McRib (I've never had one and never will knowing what parts are going into that concoction).
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I realize I'm going to probably get a load of shit on my head for this, but... is it really necessary to have a vaccine for something that 97-99% of people survive with no problems at all? Also, it seems that many non-medics don't know that vaccine development is a long and complex process that takes years, literally years until the vaccine is fully tested and proven safe. The Covid vaccine is rushed out in a span of a few months, doesn't sound too trustworthy to me.

I'm not against vaccines. I'm vaccinated for many different diseases the vaccines of which have been around for decades. I fully support vaccines, but personally, I'm not going to vaccinate against Covid. At least not for a few years, until I see how the majority of people react to this vaccine, what are the side effects, etc. And I really don't think it's right to shame people who don't want to immediately take a vaccine that has been produced in a heartbeat.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Tjemka88's post:
  • BlueStar

(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: but... is it really necessary to have a vaccine for something that 97-99% of people survive with no problems at all?

Do you really believe that?  More than 300,000 dead and rising in the USA, more than 60,000 dead in the UK and in Spain also.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: I realize I'm going to probably get a load of shit on my head for this, but... is it really necessary to have a vaccine for something that 97-99% of people survive with no problems at all? Also, it seems that many non-medics don't know that vaccine development is a long and complex process that takes years, literally years until the vaccine is fully tested and proven safe. The Covid vaccine is rushed out in a span of a few months, doesn't sound too trustworthy to me.

I'm not against vaccines. I'm vaccinated for many different diseases the vaccines of which have been around for decades. I fully support vaccines, but personally, I'm not going to vaccinate against Covid. At least not for a few years, until I see how the majority of people react to this vaccine, what are the side effects, etc. And I really don't think it's right to shame people who don't want to immediately take a vaccine that has been produced in a heartbeat.

Absolutely it is necessary. Even for a survival rate "so high". If ANYONE is dying at all from a disease then I say a vaccination is necessary. COVID19 has killed a lot of people and is deadlier than flu, which there are new vaccines for every year. So, IMO a vaccine is 100% necessary. 

I do understand people being weary of this vaccine being ready so quickly however, and why therefore people are cautious about having it. Although it has been tested as safe short term, the long term effects surely can't be known as you say because not enough time has passed to be certain on there not being any adverse long term effects.

(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: I realize I'm going to probably get a load of shit on my head for this, but...

Now why on Earth would you think that?

(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: is it really necessary to have a vaccine for something that 97-99% of people survive with no problems at all?

Yes, 97% of everyone who gets it lives. Sounds like it's not that bad right? Well the Flu kills 60,000 people globally every year. COVID-19 so far has killed 1,600,000 people globally. The other thing that isn't mentioned to those who sport that narrative is what does recovery mean exactly? Yes, a lot of people might not have any symptoms at all, some mild, some people got it 4 months ago and still have complications, some have had to have physical therapy. Mind you COVID-19 is more than a bad case of pneumonia, it can damage the heart, kidneys and other organs not mentioned because I don't feel like googling.

I know several people who had it, I know people who have lost people to COVID.

The other thing we don't know is what are the long term effects of having COVID-19. For instance those who contracted polio often didn't have severe symptoms, but 20-30 years later suffer from post-polio syndrome. It's the same thing with chickenpox, a seemingly harmless but very contagious childhood can cause a very painful rash later in life called shingles. So there could be consequences yet unknown for simply having contracted the virus.

(12-13-2020, 09:01 PM)Tjemka88 Wrote: Also, it seems that many non-medics don't know that vaccine development is a long and complex process that takes years, literally years until the vaccine is fully tested and proven safe. The Covid vaccine is rushed out in a span of a few months, doesn't sound too trustworthy to me.

There's already information about side effects of the vaccine. The pfizer vaccine to my understanding does not contain the COVID-19 virus either, so yes, it is different than a lot of vaccines. There is far better technology today that allows the development of a vaccine in rapid succession.

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedne...19-vaccine

This was New York back in April and will probably happen again since it is spiking all over the country...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/nyreg...odies.html
These are all mobile morgues...
[Image: merlin_171074478_2fea0e4d-a32b-409b-bee3...&auto=webp]

edit: I'm not trying to be an asshole here but this isn't exactly news. Things got really bad in large cities. I'm not thrilled about getting shots and all and there is an element of fear about what if I have a bad reaction. 97-99% sounds pretty good but they don't mention the 20-30% who have major complications "recovering" from COVID-19, things like damage to their heart or lungs.
Check out my stuff!

I have explained this to friends lately when they have asked me the vaccine question (I was in the hospital and ICU with covid in June and July) -
When I need my car fixed I go to the auto mechanic - NOT the dentist
When I need electrical work I contact an electrician - NOT a hairdresser

- and when I need medical advice - doctors and health professionals are the only opinions I seek.

They say take the vaccination - I say done.

There is always a slight risk but there is always a slight risk of something for just about everything in life.
[-] The following 1 member Likes eastofeden's post:
  • LJay

[Image: 49af0b915070f0bda410ad66a423bbc81495f9b4...e509_1.jpg]

I 100% agree with @eastofeden if my doctor says yeah get the vaccine then that's what I'm going to do.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]
[-] The following 3 members Like ceez's post:
  • eastofeden, InbetweenDreams, LONDONER