Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Oral herpes be spread by sexual fluids?
If a partner has HSV-1 Oral Herpes passed from his parent(s), and has had a history of cold sores on the mouth, can that same partner also pass Herpes through his sexual fluids, i.e. cum / pre-cum. Or is the virus only in his mouth/saliva ?

Can you still get Oral Herpes from an infected partner even if they aren't having any outbreaks?

No, HSV-1 will remain contained within the local lymph nodes and other nervous tissue around the mouth, genital herpes is caused by HSV-2. Now, if your partner gives you oral sex, though, then there is a chance of HSV-1 causing genital herpes.

As for you getting it, HSV-1 it's highly infectious on the outburst periods (i.e. when there are cold sores), way less so while it's dormant, although there is still a small possibility.

Chances are you have already been exposed to it, as for pretty much most humans around the world. HSV-1 infections occur mainly during childhood.

Now, not every human exposed to the virus gets infected and not all infected people develop the periodic outbursts. Evn those who do differ in the frequency of these episodes.

HSV-1 carries a bit of a stigma, sure, but other than momentary bothersome symptoms, it doesn't really do much else, unless you're a baby (on which it can be problematic and dangerous) or you are immunodepressed (as in HIV+ people).
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

of course, the liquid state is the best medium to be used by foreign organisms like viruses and bacteria to enter the human body system through casual contact since liquid is fluid and has more gravity than air x

thawoods Wrote:of course, the liquid state is the best medium to be used by foreign organisms like viruses and bacteria to enter the human body system through casual contact since liquid is fluid and has more gravity than air x

HSV-1 is not a systemic infection, though. Read the above, and read this

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs400/en/

yes, oral herpes is in general integrated into the genre of viruses. x

thawoods Wrote:yes, oral herpes is in general integrated into the genre of viruses. x

That's not the point.

First "Oral Herpes" is the affection, the disease, HSV-1 is the virus that causes it.

Second, HSV-1 infects nervous tissue around the mouth, and stays limited to that location, hence you won't find it the blood or seminal/vaginal fluids.

You'd only get HSV-1 infections in other places of the body by direct contact with ann already infected spot.

Insertnamehere Wrote:Chances are you have already been exposed to it, as for pretty much most humans around the world. HSV-1 infections occur mainly during childhood.

Now, not every human exposed to the virus gets infected and not all infected people develop the periodic outbursts. Evn those who do differ in the frequency of these episodes.

HSV-1 carries a bit of a stigma, sure, but other than momentary bothersome symptoms, it doesn't really do much else, unless you're a baby (on which it can be problematic and dangerous) or you are immunodepressed (as in HIV+ people).

I've tested negative for all strains of HSV (and for that matter all known STDs/STIs) since my last testing, which was in November 2015.

I guess if I was exposed before then, I wasn't infected, or the viral load was not high enough for it to succeed in infecting me.

So if a long term monogamous partner only has a history of oral herpes and otherwise negative for all other STDs/STIs, does that mean his anus would be a 'safer' place than his mouth in terms of being at risk of contracting his oral herpes?

not ---------------

sethmachine Wrote:I've tested negative for all strains of HSV (and for that matter all known STDs/STIs) since my last testing, which was in November 2015.

I guess if I was exposed before then, I wasn't infected, or the viral load was not high enough for it to succeed in infecting me.

So if a long term monogamous partner only has a history of oral herpes and otherwise negative for all other STDs/STIs, does that mean his anus would be a 'safer' place than his mouth in terms of being at risk of contracting his oral herpes?

Bottom line is you have nothing to worry about... If he has a cold sore on his mouth then no oral until it's healed...

Over 90% of the population will have a cold sore at some point. I dated a guy a while back who thought it was a big deal...of course I thought there was something more going on and read into it... So it's nothing to worry about just keep an eye on whether or not he has a cold sore or not. There's no risk otherwise...I would trust [MENTION=23097]Insertnamehere[/MENTION] on his word and also my sister who is in the medical field and if they're not freaking out then neither should we.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

sethmachine Wrote:I've tested negative for all strains of HSV (and for that matter all known STDs/STIs) since my last testing, which was in November 2015.

Yes, I'd say you're pretty safe as long as you both mind to avoid contact during his outbursts when, like you point out, the viral load can be quite high.

This is quite easy, as if you read through the description of the disease, you'll find that cold sores are often mentioned to give "warning" sensations before popping up, like redness, itching and "numbness" in the area, that the person who's used to having them can quickly recognize.

This, along with his care in certain things (keeping the area clean, keeping his hands off of the sores, not sharing utensils with other people while the virus is active, perhaps taking aciclovir when he notices an upcoming episode) will make it nothing to worry about.

I assumed you've kissed this guy quite a bit (?) so if you're coming up negative, then there you go. When the virus is dormant and located in the nearest lymph nodes, the chances of contracting it are very low.