Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalytic Converter Theft on the Rise
Not sure if this is an issue outside the US, so please to comment if it is. Here in the US people are finding their cars are significantly louder the next time they get in their car as thieves are going around cutting off catalytic converters off of cars and trucks. My sister had her stolen off her Prius a few months ago and appears the trend is spreading.

So you might be wondering what's the deal. Catalytic converters contain precious metals that right now are going for very high prices, so scrap yards, junk yards are paying top dollar for catalytic converters. Although there are laws in effect thieves are collecting hundreds of dollars per converter and with a saw can make an easy payday for thieves.

There are some products that you can install that will hopefully prevent the theft of your catalytic converter such as Cat Security.

https://getcatsecurity.com/
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(05-06-2021, 04:42 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Not sure if this is an issue outside the US, so please to comment if it is. Here in the US people are finding their cars are significantly louder the next time they get in their car as thieves are going around cutting off catalytic converters off of cars and trucks. My sister had her stolen off her Prius a few months ago and appears the trend is spreading.

So you might be wondering what's the deal. Catalytic converters contain precious metals that right now are going for very high prices, so scrap yards, junk yards are paying top dollar for catalytic converters. Although there are laws in effect thieves are collecting hundreds of dollars per converter and with a saw can make an easy payday for thieves.

There are some products that you can install that will hopefully prevent the theft of your catalytic converter such as Cat Security.

https://getcatsecurity.com/
Yes, it's happening in the UK also.  I contribute occasionally to a site called nextdoor.co.uk and I see posts now and again from people who have been victims of that particular theft.   Apparently the thieves are very quick.  Amazingly they jack a car up and detach the converter in seconds.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams