Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold tips
...and here we go. It's been a few years but I got a damn cold that knocked me out today and as with all my colds...it goes right to my sinuses and it is sometimes becomes impossible to breathe.....

,,,and so I hear alot of different things but I want to know...do you have any magic tips that will help me get rid of this faster? I dread the next month.....I would go to sleep but then my sinuses fill up and I can't breathe so it is too uncomfortable.....

I am lucky sorta I guess so I am a bit superstitious about complaining. I have never had the flu in my life and I just had the first flu shot ever this year because my Doc suggested it and I like and trust him even though I have always been anti flu shot....so I went with it ....and i got sick the next day with a horrible sore throat and body aches and nausea....but it went away in a few days....

It's just that last NY Eve I spent it at the gym at midnight but now because of this cold it isn't going to happen tonight..and that is what I wanted to do.....I might have even gotten it there this week because like an idiot...I always wash down everything AFTER I use the machine but it never occurs to me to do it BEFORE as I assume that someone already wiped it down. My BF points this out to me....do I listen? ...nah......

Anyone have any good tips?

I sweat mine out, I get my theraflu, crank up my humidifier and wrap up in some blankets. What works wonder is when you first feel it come on get some zicam and do some cardio or anything to get a good sweat going.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Definitely chicken soup.

A vapourizer under a tent of sheets.

Hot tea, lemon, honey and Bourbon.

East, I hope you kick it in the ass soon.

Best wishes.

Jason

I use a combination of fever-reducers and Anti-histamine.

The Tylenol makes me feel ok and able to function normally, reduces any pain in my sinuses and the Antihistamine dries up the nose, so I can breathe easier. I also drink lots of fluids, rest, eat light meals.

Not feeling so sick is the best part of this "therapy".
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

A cold left untreated lasts about14 days. A cold that is treated lasted only 2 weeks...

There is no cure or real treatment for the common cold. There are, however, many remedies that treat the symptoms and comfort the patient.

I do a 'steam' of either eucalyptus leaves boiled in water or when I can find it a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling hot water. For the leaves, I bring a pot of water to boil with the leaves in it. For the oil I boil the water, then add a couple three drops to the hot water. Remove the pot from fire, then use a bath towel to cover my head while leaning over the steaming pot to make a tent so I can breath in the steam. I try to breath in through the nose, exhale through the mouth, but during particularly bad colds breath in how ever.

There is Mentholatum rub, I use about a half teaspoon in a glass bowl which can sit in the hot water. Don't want to add that petroleum jelly to a metal pot, or you will be spending a lot of time cleaning the pot.

I also dap a pinky into the Mentholatum rub and put a tiny bit just under the nose. Pro-tip. you can also use this to deal with dead bodies, putrid vomit, and other assorted messes as the smell of the rub is strong enough to cover the smell of death and vomit.

There is a bunch of OTC cold and flu products. I prefer to stick with the night-quil day-quil product. Night one causes drowsiness, day one doesn't. It seems to help open up lungs and sinuses and reduces the ickiness of colds and flus.

chicken soup (homemade if you can manage it) with fresh garlic and a little cayenne pepper, lots of sleep. Once I think I had the flu, I was delirious, I made chicken soup with everything I could find in the freezer, I just kept adding meat and vegetables to it and keeping it on a low flame. I would wake up , eat some, add more stuff, and fall asleep again. Felt better after a day or so of that.

There isn't really anything that you can do to make the common cold go away sooner. However using medications like acetaminophen/paracetamol and ibuprofen can help with the symptoms and make you feel better. Lots of fluids and rest is the way forward!

Hope you feel better soon

Don't do anything. The more you will treat your cold the longer you'll have it. That's from my experience.

I should have this in a file for copying and pasting:

Warm liquids: hot tea, soup or bouillon, any kind of broth to sip on, even hot jello, herb tea (mint is easy on stomach)

More warm liquids.

More warm liquids.

Steam: Close the bathroom door and get in a hot tub, hot shower, humidifier, head over a bowl of hot water. anything to keep it warm and wet. [If you felt better this could get kinky.]

Mucinex or guaiafenesin, which is the generic version. Don't get the kind with decongestants in it because they will just make you feel speedy. Always combine this with LOTS of warm liquid.

Afrin nasal spray. This can be dangerous, so 1. Get the original version. The rest are hype. 2. Use for no more than three nights. Longer use can trigger allergic rhinitis, meaning, in mom language, an incurable runny nose. THREE NIGHTS ONLY. 3. Use only at night. It is to clear your sinuses to help you sleep. 4. Administer thusly: Steam and all that to get you nose as clear as possible, then one or two small squirts in each nostril, stay in the warm steamy place until your nose drains and feels clear, then a couple of good squirts in each nostril. This gets my head clear enough to allow some sleep. NO MORE THAN THREE NIGHTS AND AT NIGHT ONLY!

Keep up the mucinex and the warm liquids. Try to sleep, even if you have to sit up to do it.

Grandma's Wise Hot Toddy: Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a preheated mug. Add a spoonful of sugar or honey, Add some ginger in grated or powdered form. Add a generous slug of bourbon or brandy. Stir well while adding hot water to the mug. Cradle carefully to gather warmth while remembering that Grandmas are the best people in the whole world. Breathe in the steam. Sip as it gets cool enough to do so. Go to sleep. Repeat as necessary.

Ersatz Jewish Love: make one can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup [also known as chickemoodlesoop] and add the juice of a lemon when the soup is nice and hot. Sip and slurp as with Hot Toddy above.

Stay warm and get hugs if you can.
I bid NO Trump!