Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Students
I know that there are college students here or even people taking classes for certifications. For those who are doing this what major are you doing/what are you training for?

I am in Majoring in Management Information Systems.

Graphic design

Mechatronics engineering. For making terminators! Tongue

Communications for my Bachelor's degree and a Master's in Special Education after that.

I'm about a 30 credits from completing my bachelor's degree in English. Right now I'm considering applying for graduate school. I'd like to get into teaching (college level), even if it's just adjunct. I never really want to leave academia, so I might as well work in it. I'd like to do writing on the side too, and maybe some bookwork or editing, but we'll see. If I had more time I'd start working on a book right now. I have rough sketches of things but just don't have the time between school and work. As long as my future job prospects have to do with reading and/or writing and literature, I'll be a happy camper. Surprisingly, I don't start classes this fall until October FIRST. Crazy, huh?

I took English Literature. Graduated at 2009.

im starting my computer and electronic engineering course on saturday

starbelly Wrote:I'm about a 30 credits from completing my bachelor's degree in English. Right now I'm considering applying for graduate school. I'd like to get into teaching (college level), even if it's just adjunct. I never really want to leave academia, so I might as well work in it. I'd like to do writing on the side too, and maybe some bookwork or editing, but we'll see. If I had more time I'd start working on a book right now. I have rough sketches of things but just don't have the time between school and work. As long as my future job prospects have to do with reading and/or writing and literature, I'll be a happy camper. Surprisingly, I don't start classes this fall until October FIRST. Crazy, huh?

As a graduate student in English I feel I must tell you that you probably shouldn't go through with it unless you really are absolutely content with being relatively poor for the rest of your life. It's incredibly difficult to get an adjunct post even with an Ivy League phd, with luck you might spend years as a post-doc or a part-time sessional instructor. The trend is still towards fewer tenured staff and more graduate student teaching. Try to do the MA as cheap as possible, the best option is a joint MA/PhD program in one of the major unis, direct entry phd programs like those are usually fully funded.

Statistically your chances of gainful employment decrease with postgraduate education in the humanities (though average earnings are higher for those that do get jobs).

All that said, I do enjoy the experience and you'll meet lots of great people.

Ive been majoring in Getting A Life for over 25 years, but so far, Im still flunking.

OrphanPip Wrote:As a graduate student in English I feel I must tell you that you probably shouldn't go through with it unless you really are absolutely content with being relatively poor for the rest of your life. It's incredibly difficult to get an adjunct post even with an Ivy League phd, with luck you might spend years as a post-doc or a part-time sessional instructor. The trend is still towards fewer tenured staff and more graduate student teaching. Try to do the MA as cheap as possible, the best option is a joint MA/PhD program in one of the major unis, direct entry phd programs like those are usually fully funded.

Statistically your chances of gainful employment decrease with postgraduate education in the humanities (though average earnings are higher for those that do get jobs).

All that said, I do enjoy the experience and you'll meet lots of great people.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm aware of the job market but I'm not too concerned about it to be honest. I can live with not making a killing. Fortunately I'm going to a university that's pretty cheap compared to most, and I knocked out my first two years of study at a community college and came out of that with no debt, so I've managed to spend as little money as I possibly can on my education so far. I'm taking out loans right now, but, like I said, it's a reasonably priced school. I'm going to talk with my counselor this fall about it and stew over it, but we'll see. Like you mentioned, the social aspect of it and the subject itself are what really grab at me. I feel compelled to do it for whatever reasons, and it's the only field of study that I'm actually passionate about. When I initially decided to major in English, I was hesitant because of the instability of the job market and whatnot, but that's most of the US these days. I decided to pursue it despite that though simply because I fell in love with it. The way that language works is endlessly fascinating to me.