Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science vs Information Systems vs Certifications
adulting! making grown up decisions.

perhaps to open doors: finish a degree, any degree--maybe the one in information systems.

afterwards: add in the certifications in the fields that you want. ultimately, if teaching is the end goal.

the only reason is because I had a co-worker with an undergrad in history, a master's in information science, and now works as an aerospace engineering integrator. how she ended up on that path befuddles me, but it's worked for her and she really enjoys what's she doing now.

i wanted to be a pharmacist when i grow up but i took a left turn somewhere.

cest la vie

$30K in debt for a CS degree would be very manageable if you worked as a programmer. It might be harder to pay off as a community college instructor. To understand what degree(s) and qualifications you need to teach at a community college, you may want to look at their job postings and see what is listed for that.

Getting certifications and teaching them in a continuing ed situation does sound feasible too.

It sounds like you are ready to progress in some form, so I encourage you to go for it! Commit to increasing your skills in 2017.

[MENTION=19807]SilverBullet[/MENTION] Assembly, ugh! I still remember doing that coursework. Yay for modern computer languages!

That's just it, with modern libraries, the heavy lifting in generally done for you. Most programmers don't need to know assembler, or how to handle the math on multi dimensional matrixes.

Want to be a game "programmer," the path you take depends on what you actually want to do. A lot of the coding is done for you, and the job is mainly setting up environments, and meta data. You have graphic designers doing most of the art work. Look at https://unity3d.com/ for instance.

Want to be a database administrator (DBA), go for courses in SQL, database design, and admin certs.

JohnMusic Wrote:Are there any computer experts here? And if so may we chat in private message?

But then your time is valuable and how the hell am i to ask anything.

Yeah apparently quite a few apparently....ask away... There is the tech support forum or technology forum down on the main page... I have helped a few people on here with computer issues.

trywait Wrote:adulting! making grown up decisions.

perhaps to open doors: finish a degree, any degree--maybe the one in information systems.

afterwards: add in the certifications in the fields that you want. ultimately, if teaching is the end goal.

the only reason is because I had a co-worker with an undergrad in history, a master's in information science, and now works as an aerospace engineering integrator. how she ended up on that path befuddles me, but it's worked for her and she really enjoys what's she doing now.

i wanted to be a pharmacist when i grow up but i took a left turn somewhere.

cest la vie

I just feel that I need something desides a 2 year degree, if I am do ever get out of this place. I am almost thinking not to, that my goal should only be to pay off my credit cards and move out and just deal with
Camfer Wrote:$30K in debt for a CS degree would be very manageable if you worked as a programmer. It might be harder to pay off as a community college instructor. To understand what degree(s) and qualifications you need to teach at a community college, you may want to look at their job postings and see what is listed for that.

Getting certifications and teaching them in a continuing ed situation does sound feasible too.

It sounds like you are ready to progress in some form, so I encourage you to go for it! Commit to increasing your skills in 2017.

[MENTION=19807]SilverBullet[/MENTION] Assembly, ugh! I still remember doing that coursework. Yay for modern computer languages!

Well I would have to talk to my adviser or one of the instructors here to find out more about different requirements. It would be nice to have some supplemental income too, even if it is a per semester thing or non-curriculum.

So what is hot as far as certifications go? I know that things Microsoft are still valuable, like things surrounding Office 365 and so on... I don't know that I see much purpose on CompTIA stuff, maybe Network +?

kindy64 Wrote:That's just it, with modern libraries, the heavy lifting in generally done for you. Most programmers don't need to know assembler, or how to handle the math on multi dimensional matrixes.

Want to be a game "programmer," the path you take depends on what you actually want to do. A lot of the coding is done for you, and the job is mainly setting up environments, and meta data. You have graphic designers doing most of the art work. Look at https://unity3d.com/ for instance.

Want to be a database administrator (DBA), go for courses in SQL, database design, and admin certs.

I did write a relatively simple program that runs off a MySQL database. Nothing hardcore but basically it is for tracking of server updates and whatnot, kind of a like inventory sort to speak... I mean it is something I can certainly expand on so might be on to something there... I do HATE Access though.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Certifications are very job dependent.

As a project manager, companies want to see PMP, scrum master, and such.
DBA's have their own set
IT techies another set
software developers another set

Best bet is to lookup the jobs you are interested in, and start seeing what they require.

I always here this place advertising on the radio... http://www.mycomputercareer.edu/ You try their evaluation out.

axle2152 Wrote:Yeah apparently quite a few apparently....ask away... There is the tech support forum or technology forum down on the main page... I have helped a few people on here with computer issues.

I just feel that I need something desides a 2 year degree, if I am do ever get out of this place. I am almost thinking not to, that my goal should only be to pay off my credit cards and move out and just deal with

Well I would have to talk to my adviser or one of the instructors here to find out more about different requirements. It would be nice to have some supplemental income too, even if it is a per semester thing or non-curriculum.

So what is hot as far as certifications go? I know that things Microsoft are still valuable, like things surrounding Office 365 and so on... I don't know that I see much purpose on CompTIA stuff, maybe Network +?

I did write a relatively simple program that runs off a MySQL database. Nothing hardcore but basically it is for tracking of server updates and whatnot, kind of a like inventory sort to speak... I mean it is something I can certainly expand on so might be on to something there... I do HATE Access though.

Thank you. Smile I think i quoted wrongly.

juxtapose Wrote:if you choose to relocate; keep in mind your employment experience is a big ++, along with your degree. You are very employable and someone here, not me i dont give a phuck, said your handsome. Go for it gay boy...

plenty of nice cities
Denver (i live there) Austin, Seattle...

try to get a good mix, mainly a nice employment situation, a local university that meets your needs and a affordable gay living situation. Its a mix of all three, maybe a fourth. Loving BF. Worst case you and your husband pay the tuition. Better yet; get your employer to foot the bill:

a family friend; she works for comcast Denver with a 2year degree, they are paying for her computer science engineering degree (DB engineering). All her classes are online. She will graduate with a BS this summer. She works full time at comcast. She is in the same community orchestra as my husband so this is recent so true info happening right now. We car pool to rehearsals so get monthly reports.

I actually thought about Colorado, the Denver area to be more exact. I'll have to look at more options for majors, locations...how I'm going to pull this off.

I'm single, been single. I would love to have a loving bf...err anyone for that matter... But, I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. I live in a rural spot, all the good guys run off to do bigger better things...which is what I want to do but often I find that I in a lot of ways almost was good enough but not quite. I'd say it would be a heck of stretch to have a bf/husband pay for my tutition or whatever, just lol I can hardly get a 2nd date most of the time and perhaps I'm being silly. I have been told to stop looking or try this or that it will happen when you lease expect it lol. Well at this point I'm not expecting anything to happen in that area.

At any rate I just need to come up with some sort of road map...I definitely need to plan this, just can't be something I'm going to do on a whim like so many other things...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

juxtapose Wrote:-I would pay off the charge cards for sure.
-Get a copy of grinder going, your account is the only one in 50 miles what the heck.

-Anything engineering computer science is full of job stress. The boy with the most toys dosnt avoid burn out. A husband, if its done well, in a none associated field makes for a more stable house hold come lay off time.

best of luck

Oh I have grindr...It's terrible....

Got pics?

That or I get the random dick pic or requesting sex... I mean is that customary these days? I'd like to at least determine if I like someone before they want to go about fucking or whatever...

I have tried every dating app that has any decent number of people on it and just haven't had any success. Talked to a lot of guys, good conversations, maybe a few dates. Been pretty consistent with not having any luck for years...

I would generally agree that someone in a non related field might be better in the long run but may or may not be true. I guess it does help in being able to relate to each other in the issues with work possibly. I can't say about the rest of the living arrangements and so on. Ah I don't know, be a good start if I were to actually date someone... Very selcome anyone actually gets interested in me, usually the other way around and well barking up the wrong tree doesn't get anyone very far.
Check out my stuff!

I guess getting back on track. I'm thinking Computer Information Systems might be the path of least resistance since I would be able to do it all online. However, I am pretty much stuck with a student loan... I am also in considerable debt already so not sure if financially it would be wise to take on more debt.

I really REALLY need to move out and get my own place. It is very depressing where I'm at right now but I am but there not much I can do about it right now. Every dime I make pretty much goes to paying off debt and I can't save any money because of that. I don't know what to do to be honest. I don't know if there are any budget gurus here that might be of some help, obviously I don't want to post financial details publicly on the forum.

On a personal note, I've got to do something about my bouts of depression. Seems small things set it off. Like I have been struggling this weekend working my ham radio stuff. I was given a spool of LMR-400 coax which is some really tough, thick cable and I cannot for the life of me get connects put on and I get upset and all is downhill. It does seem that once winter starts to set in I get depressed more often, I wonder if it is seasonal affect disorder or something. Not saying I don't feel down at other times, but winter it is especially tough for me it seems... Maybe I need to move to Florida lol

Anyway, to be quite honest I am not sure what I really want to do. Teaching is nice but I did think of it as a way to be secure in a career and make a little more money and have a little more selection as to where I can work and so on. I am happy with what I do just wish I could stay a little more busy but not like how things were at my previous employer. Used to work as an IT manager for a hospitality company and it was hellish. No budget, everything breaking, everyone expecting you to be a magician and it was really bad for my health.
Check out my stuff!

via Popular Mechanics http://www.popularmechanics.com/technolo...ce-bundle/

8 Courses (78+ Hours) to Get a Quality Tech Education---From Coding to Design--without Paying Exorbitant Tuition

Now at the LOW LOW price of $39

*** Can't vouch for this at all, but it's probably a good place to get your feet wet up to your knees with concepts in computer science