Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conundrum
How come we choose from just two people to run for president and over fifty for Miss America ?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Maybe it's because we can't find 50 pretty politicians.

Camfer Wrote:Maybe it's because we can't find 50 pretty politicians.

I hope that people wouldn't vote for someone based on their looks. Maybe the answer is that America can't find enough politicians with plausible views.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Well, you will be relieved to note that this presidential election with not include a beauty contest. It just can't. Still, Mrs. Clinton has developed a certain countenance.

You are exactly on point, [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION].
I bid NO Trump!

LONDONER Wrote:I hope that people wouldn't vote for someone based on their looks. Maybe the answer is that America can't find enough politicians with plausible views.
London did get its new mayor because an increase in Muslim voters came forward and voted for Sadiq Khan, this wouldn't have happened if the Labour party had a non Muslim candidate. I hope he does a good job for London but I do feel he got in based on his religion and not his or the Labour Party's policies.

It's similar with Donald Trump, he was massively popular before the battle for candidacy began. That and some wild out there views has captured the Americans that think similarly on things like immigration in the States, outlandish claims of what he will do could cripple the world's view of the States if he actually becomes the president. I think what people need to remember is most candidates have been in politics for many years, Donald Trump is a ruthless business man and will need more assistance than others like Hilary Clinton due to the nature of how politics works.

When it comes to voting for our Prime Minister most voters have no clue about any of the parties manifestos. I have a friend that votes Green because his only goal is living sustainably which isn't a bad thing but they haven't got any other policies that he pays attention to, I also know another person who only votes Liberal democrats because that's what his family has done and he's just followed in their footsteps. He has never actually looked at what they or the other parties are offering.

There will always be votes in every country that will simply be because of the candidates popularity whether it's looks or how they've been historically.

I will always vote for the person or party I think can do good things in their role based on their manifestos, I also don't take them as 100% what will happen as I know this isn't always going to happen. I wish more people paid attention to politics but politics does a good job of alienating voters at times.

I cant even follow the American way of electing a president. Nothing simple about it. Plus you only got two parties so its like choosing the lesser of two evils I guess. The British way of electing MPs is much simpler

I've heard Washington DC called "Hollywood for ugly people."

But we have a two-party system. It's ridiculous to think that 2 candidates can represent most of America, given how diverse and numerous we are, and that no doubt contributes to why less than half the nation votes (and I'd be curious how that would change if we had preferential voting like Australia).

LONDONER Wrote:How come we choose from just two people to run for president and over fifty for Miss America ?
I don't think you pay attention to American politics. I don't blame you. I live here and know its a total joke. But we don't choose just between two people.... For example, every presidential election year there's the Republican Clown Car...

[Image: 2016_Republican_Clown_Car_Parade_-_Trump...83269).jpg]

Some years there is the Democrat equivalent. But in any case, it isn't narrowed down to two until after the caucuses, primaries and, finally, the two party conventions.

is there such a thing like MR America ?? I don't mean like in body building but like some 20 something who's hobbies include finger painting and a passion for water reclamation - but with a body to die for Smile
Id vote for him anyday over Trump - any model, male or female probably knows more about foreign policy that Trump anyway

Foreign policy has to do with life insurance in Canada, right?
I bid NO Trump!