Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cryptids... Reality? Or Myth?
Inchante Wrote:I am familiar with the theories that say the Yeti and the Sasquatch could be extent examples of early hominids or even gigantopithecus. But you have to realize, at least with the case of Sasquatch, that it would be nearly impossible for such a large animal to hide anyplace in the United States. Yes, it is a large country, but it is also a very populated country that has been well explored, and when you add in the fact that ALL hominid species and primates are gregarious (live in groups) the likely hood that such a group (and several groups would be needed to maintain a viable population) could survive undiscovered is rather unrealistic.

As far as people with hypertrichosis, those people do not live alone in the wilds of Oregon and Washington. They live with us as a part of our society.

Edit: So, I guess I have a hard time believing that such animals could exist without scientists proving their existence.

Thats true, I was merely throwing out some possibilities.

I realize people with Hypertrichosis live with us, but I was stating that because they are still "Human", perhaps they would think that since they're hairy people like apes, then they would think that there are non-"Human" hairy men running around, hence the Yeti or Big Foot .

Science is a powerful tool. I'm not naive, but I just tend to believe we're not alone in the world, whether that's true or not. Smile

Nick9 Wrote:I remember having a picture of latimeria in our textbook.
For me, there are some differences between latimeria and the Mothman.

We had an evidence that once there was a fish like that. I don't think we have that in the Mothman case. I would rule out Ikaros Wink
Scientists gave us a believable explanation - the Sandhill Crane.

We have a mountain lion wandering around almost every year :biggrin: Many are reported to see it, but it was never recognized as a true story. Or country is densely populated and it is impossible for an animal like this wandering around without being captured. But every time there is this story in newspapers. So... :biggrin:

But, I've heard about an entire tribe being "discovered" in South America (I hope I remember the location correctly) several years ago.

I don't know why you would think it impossible for a Mountain Lion to be wandering about without being captured. They wander about here all the time and are not captured:

[Image: 1265865568-cougar%20outside%20window%20WEBSITE.jpg]

Though, seriously, I have heard of a case in Britain where a man was keeping Mountain Lions and they managed to escape and were running around the countryside. I have not heard whether the story was true or if the cats were captured. But, it doesn't sound irrational.

Nick9 Wrote:I remember having a picture of latimeria in our textbook.
For me, there are some differences between latimeria and the Mothman.

We had an evidence that once there was a fish like that. I don't think we have that in the Mothman case. I would rule out Ikaros Wink
Scientists gave us a believable explanation - the Sandhill Crane.

We have a mountain lion wandering around almost every year :biggrin: Many are reported to see it, but it was never recognized as a true story. Or country is densely populated and it is impossible for an animal like this wandering around without being captured. But every time there is this story in newspapers. So... :biggrin:

But, I've heard about an entire tribe being "discovered" in South America (I hope I remember the location correctly) several years ago.

I see where you're coming from. Our history is shrouded in myths and mystery (Bermuda Triangle/Island Devils/etc), so for us, it's not unusual. Though not all of us believe in them, alot of our history revolves around them.

I think I heard about that tribe in South America. Along with the spider the size of a Dinner plate. Alot of remote places such as Madagascar and even Bermuda at one time, were thought to be the orginating place for strange and unusual creatures, due to isolation. :p . Doesn't surprise me that there could be people in those trees.

Like the movie Avatar :3 .

Mountain lions can be found just in zoological gardens in our country. And just several and I mean several private little gardens (like a rich guy keep it instead of a dog...)

So, it is impossible for a mountain lion to wander around, it would be reported as missing first. We also don't have vast uninhabited areas, every couple of miles there is a village or a town.

Newspaper tend to write about it in summer when there is usually lack of interesting news. Smile

A somewhat good resource I found on Cryptids Smile

Cryptids

They cover a very wide scope, including; Aliens, Angels and Shapeshifting creatures(which really is somewhat plausable).

Very interesting ;p .