Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diarrhea caused by Greek yogurt?
Nothing like the subject of diarrhea to raise the level of a conversation.

Everyone loves Greek yogurt but it seems it may cause diarrhea in some people.

I didn't have dinner today, just 4 of those yogurts (yes, it was a lot but I love the taste of it) and now I'm having abdominal pain, cramps and my intestines feel like Times Square on a Friday night, bursting with activity. I'm sweating, I feel sick and my ass itches terribly (probably bacteria)

This is actually the second time it happened to me but the first time I didn't associate it with the yogurt. This only happens with greek yogurt, not the regular type.

I've already taken BACTRIM and a painkiller called BUSCOPAN, they worked well the first time and hopefully they will work again.

Any other tips?

"The Solution to the Pollution is Dilution"

Drink a whole bunch of water... it will help!

If I eat a food and it causes me to be able to shit through a screen door at 100 yards and not touch a wire, no way in hell do I eat that food again. Well, except for chili. I like chili.

First, Bactrim is an antibiotic that should not be taken casually. Call your doctor. Ironically, though milk and dairy may alleviate it, Bactrim can cause nausea and stomach pain.

Whenever something hurts that bad call the doctor before self medicating.

Please let us know what you find out. Hope you feel better.

Your doctor may tell you that you have simply overeaten. Four cups of Greek yogurt is the nutritional equivalen of about 8 cups of milk and you probably had the kind with sweetener/jam in it.
I bid NO Trump!

Lycanthropist Wrote:If I eat a food and it causes me to be able to shit through a screen door at 100 yards and not touch a wire, no way in hell do I eat that food again. Well, except for chili. I like chili.

Yes, chili is wonderful stuff. I never have such a problem with it because I make my own chili. Good stuff. Low fat. High fiber. And it is filling enough that I am not tempted to overeat. Adding cornbread is a great treat.

PS--Recipe available on request.
I bid NO Trump!

Lycanthropist Wrote:If I eat a food and it causes me to be able to shit through a screen door at 100 yards and not touch a wire, no way in hell do I eat that food again. [...]

Yes but I didn't know the cause was Greek yogurt.

LJay Wrote:First, Bactrim is an antibiotic that should not be taken casually. Call your doctor. Ironically, though milk and dairy may alleviate it, Bactrim can cause nausea and stomach pain.

Whenever something hurts that bad call the doctor before self medicating.

Please let us know what you find out. Hope you feel better.

Your doctor may tell you that you have simply overeaten. Four cups of Greek yogurt is the nutritional equivalen of about 8 cups of milk and you probably had the kind with sweetener/jam in it.

Thanks Honey.

Yes, the drugs were prescribed by a doctor the first time.

Maverick Wrote:[...]

Drink a whole bunch of water... it will help!

Thanks, Baby! I seem to be getting better but I'll try that.

MisterLove Wrote:Nothing like the subject of diarrhea to raise the level of a conversation.

Everyone loves Greek yogurt but it seems it may cause diarrhea in some people.

I didn't have dinner today, just 4 of those yogurts (yes, it was a lot but I love the taste of it) and now I'm having abdominal pain, cramps and my intestines feel like Times Square on a Friday night, bursting with activity. I'm sweating, I feel sick and my ass itches terribly (probably bacteria)

This is actually the second time it happened to me but the first time I didn't associate it with the yogurt. This only happens with greek yogurt, not the regular type.

I've already taken BACTRIM and a painkiller called BUSCOPAN, they worked well the first time and hopefully they will work again.

Any other tips?

Yes by all mean prescribe yourself antibiotics and lets hope you don't follow the correct course for wiping out what you are trying to wipe out, because the world needs more antibiotic resistant bacteria.

See what you are actually hard at working killing out is gut flora - those helpful bacteria that do most of the hard work of digesting.

Greek yogurt has more of them than other yogurts.

You OD'd on a good thing...

The best bet is to take an anti-diarrhea and wait until you body readjusts, it will kill off the excess gut flora on its own via such process as diarrhea....

Quote:Everyone loves Greek yogurt

Um no, I can't stand the taste of curdled milk - ew. I loath yogurt. so not everyone loves Yogurt, Greek or otherwise.

The Probiotics from four Greek yogurts on an empty stomach is probably causing hell on your digestive tract. Water really is your best option. In the short term it may cause a little more diarrhea. In the long term I believe clear fluids may help clean you out. To balance your electrolytes you should consider drinking something like Gatorade.