Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you go to your high school Prom?
I really don't have much more to say than that. I'm curious. Did you?

I never did. I hate parties and social gatherings like that. But I'm wondering for those of you who want(ed) to go to prom who identify LGBT (most of us) was there any dilemma in your mind about going or not? Did you go with a date? Same sex, different sex? What's your story?

I'm gonna show up with 5 girls on my right and 5 girls on my left. It was the girls idea, and as the gay friend, I don't really mind lol

im not going. No offence, but I don't want to spend a Saturday night with most of those people who are going next week. They are so boring, and all I would do is eat food if I went (which is apparently quite decent)

I could be sleeping/watching Jem/Watching Jem/ Watching Honey Boo Boo/watching Jem/using all that money for something more important. o_o

I don't want to dance, and I don't want to talk to those people (they have nothing interesting to say...) it's too late at night, it sounds boring loud and clearly is all an excuse to have nice photographs.

I don't really understand school balls. It seems like they just eat and move about and there is very loud music in the background but somehow it goes on for hours. And then there are things called pre-balls and after-balls which seem like the same thing but just more of it.

To answer your question, if I were to go, I would probably go with a friend, but the problem is, they make you sign a form to confirm you are actually gay before you can go with a same-sex partner (because people are known to cheat and get a discount buying tickets as a gay couple instead of buying a solo ticket) The government sent a very threatening letter to all the principals in new zealand about gay ball partners actually, about how the human rights commission would get involved o_o.

In short: not going - expensive, sounds disinteresting to me, too loud, too many people, too late at night, I don't like these people.

Hey Lilithu,

First of all, no offense taken.

Second of all, you sound like me! And I don't quite have the wisdom or experience yet to know whether that's good or bad (psssst, it's bad).

Your response is exactly the type of thinking that prompted my question. More specifically, this video is what prompted the question:

Check it out. That guy has some good advice I think.

I did go to my prom -- 30 odd years ago. Her name was Donna. I was unclear about my sexuality at that point, but leaning toward hetero. And I had something for redheads.

She showed up in a frilly yellow dress. What kind of redhead wears yellow?!! I'm not gay, and I know better than that! Wink The tone of the evening was set when I shouted above that racket they called music, "The band's real good!" And she replied, "Thanks, so do you!" I enjoy dancing, so the night was not a total loss. I vowed to never waste so much money on one date.

The next year I went with Justine. Not a redhead, but I liked her better. She was a year younger, but didn't like anyone in her class. A year had done nothing to improve the music (this was the early 80's remember). We must have shared a kiss and a thank-you at the end of the night. I vowed to never waste so much money on one date.

If your prom is ahead of you, good luck. Go if you have someone you feel special about and you both like to dance. Don't waste the money on a rented tux or dress. And be glad that 80's pop music is mostly forgotten.

We didn't have one. Rural Scotland was just emerging from the Dark Ages when I was at school. I was part of the invisible geek crowd so would have hated it anyways!

I went to two different proms, actually. My date went to a school in the next city over, so I was at that school the next week. I didn't have conflicts of sexuality like some people might, since I still identified as straight at the time and girls were always fine by me. Prom still sucked though. Seriously, I don't see why anyone gets so excited about that crap. Then again, I also hate clubbing. They both seem like the same environment to me. One just has alcohol to entice me to stay longer.

I did not go to my prom. Wasn't interested in women and I was still in the closet.

I didn't go to mine, I didn't know I was gay then, but I did know I had a hard time having intimacy with women, and I only had 5 or 6 close male friends. Funny thing, I know now that of my 6 close male friends in high school two of them were gay. If only I had an objective observer how life might have been different.

But I digress.

No I didn't go to prom, but I've been to a whole lot of Military Ball's since I joined the Army.
Richard

I did go to prom, I even had a date (it was a girl though). One of my friend's dad was a limo driver so we had a limo and we left early to go bowling and drank vodka and orange juice. It was fun but nothing special.