Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disney star Joshua Bassett faced homophobia after coming out
[Image: joshua-bassett-696x435.jpg]
Joshua Bassett (Instagram)

2 min read
Although he never felt like he needed to ‘come out’ the High School Musical: The Musical star Joshua Bassett has revealed he experienced homophobia for the first time ever after he came out publicly.

Speaking with Attitude, Bassett said he is now feeling “liberated” after coming out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community earlier this year.

“This was the first time where I was subjected to a lot of homophobia,” Bassett explained to Attitude.

“You know, I seem ‘straight’ to everyone I meet, pretty much, and I have had to see that [homophobia] first-hand.”

“Seeing that put things into perspective, of how far along we aren’t yet; I thought we were a lot further on than we are,” he said.

The 20 year old actor/singer said he is feeling optimistic and inspired.

“People can hate me forever and say the nastiest thing possible, but it will not change a thing, because you need to stand tall and face those people as an advocate for all the people without a voice,” explained.

“Ultimately, all that garbage melts away from one story, let alone thousands of people telling me I’ve changed their life – which is wild, but a crazy honor.”

Bassett first opened up about his identity in May, after an interview where he openly shared his admiration for Harry Styles went viral.

“What I admire about Harry Styles is that he is a very classy man, and he’s also very well rounded and he kind of does it all, acting, singing, fashion,” during an interview with Clever News. “I think that he’s just a nice guy who doesn’t say too much but when he talks, it matters.”

As social media lit up with questions about his comments, the 20-year-old followed up with an uplifting message on Instagram.

“It’s 2021. We are the generation of love & growth, it’s time we start acting like it. whether you love me, hate me, or damn me to hell, i love you all the same,” he captioned the video post. “it’s ok to still be figuring out who you are. life’s too short to let ignorance and hatred win. I choose love.”

Last Updated on Aug 13, 2021
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.