Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance....
Okay so my boyfriend and I are pretty much inseparable, and we hate being apart. Currently he lives 9 miles away from me in a different town, and we no longer work together, so we only get to see each other once a week if we are lucky, due to the fact neither of us have a car, and our work schedules conflict, I am usually going into work when he is getting off at his job, so my question is this. What are some things we can do to keep us going strong? We talk as much as we can, but the distances drives us nuts. Any tips on anything we can do to keep our relationship going strong? Any ways to make it more bearable?

Maybe both of you requesting time off at the same time other than that it sounds like its a tough time, great test for the relationship and its strength.

Change the way you communicate with each other while you are apart , talk on the phone ,text , Internet chat , Skype mix it up a bit.

Watch a movie 'together' , plan a time and film , and watch it the same time and talk , maybe via the Internet and chat about what you are watching. ( maybe something romantic ? )

Post little surprise gifts to each other
Listen to the same music at the same time , maybe pick a song that expresses how you feel.

Plan holidays together if you can.

And most of all enjoy the time you do get together , good luck Smile

why can't you move?
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Regular communications, but not so much that your smothering each other.

Love Wolfies idea of the cyber movie Smile

Book simultaneous holiday periods.

Facecam/Video Skype can be fun ;-)

Im a senior executive and travel the world, often to countries that are very homophobic. My company is very supportive, and will fly my SO in where its locally acceptable to do so.

We are currently 10,000 miles and 7 timezones apart (Im 7 hours ahead of him)

I feel your pain, and frustration!

ObW
X

if you're that serious why not just move in together?

Long distance relationships are really hard to handle. The distance itself can wiegh in on the relationship at times. Then on thing I could think of is calling off of work at the same time. Communication is KEY when it comes to long distance. Any chance you guys get to talk should be taken. Be it Skype, or calling, or whatever else. Little communication can mess up the relationship. If you guys feel like you're serious about the relationship, maybe try moving in together.

I want to everyone who has replied to this. I wish moving in together was an option right now, but sadly we can't due to work. Neither of us have a car right now, I mean I am working on getting one, but that will suck all my money, so right now that is not an option as bad as we want to do that.

Is there no bus service or anything to your boyfriend's town? It might be worth looking for jobs near him, so you can see each other more often.

How about 'we' buy a car to facilitate this 'we' that 'we' are in?

A decent used car runs about $2000.00 around these parts... I have no idea where 'My World' USA is, I looked at all the maps even that evil Google Earth one and can't find it, so I can't tell you what the median price range is for a decent (it runs - gets me to point A from point B, yeah I know it looks like a piece of shit) car runs for in your area.

Mind I'm the guy who exlusively buys 'classics' meaning old rust buckets that run (and most run well) but have 'body and interior' issues - like you know missing seats, or huge crumpled zones... even missing fenders and shit. hey it runs (well) and gets me from point A to point B - and I can leave the keys in it while parked in the hood and even the most hungry of car jackers won't touch it. :biggrin: hell my first car was $100 dollars didn't have a back seat, and a passenger floor and a front driver's fender and air-conditioning and heater and no no no wait it did have a radio - AM all the way Baby!

9 miles is not that large of a distance. That's about a single day hike through rough terrain without taxi or bus service. I have walked at least 9 miles a day with 80+ pounds strapped to my back... Surely you can walk that distance in a relatively short amount of time if there are no buses and taxis in your area.... I mean surely you have reached the point where you have said something like "I would climb the highest mountain, swim the widest sea just to be with you my love" Or is it only me that says corny romantic shit like that when in love... and mean it dead seriously? :tongue:

You are looking at this situation as if you have a continent and ocean between he and thee. Reality, the distance between you all ain't all that great and I seriously doubt you two cant arrange transportation to spend weekends together or something.

Even if you two get separate days off, why can't he stay at your place on his days off and you can have at least the night together, and you wait dutifully for him at his place on your days off? IDK maybe clean each other's place, cook a meal for the working one, do the laundry - something to show your undying love for each other or something along those lines...

So all of these excuses makes me wonder just how committed you are to Romeo (or are you Romeo and he's Julio?). And he to thee and all of that other romantic bull shit I could throw out here but won't because its kinda sorta gay Wink

9 miles - pft - I walked that each way to school as a kid, and it was uphill both ways and we had snow up to my eye brows....

Ok that last line is old age talking Wink