Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you do a good job of looking after yourself?
Just wondering if people here believe they do a good job of looking after themselves or not?

I live by myself so I am forced to look after myself but I am absolutely hopeless at it! I can cook vegetables and meat etc. but I am pretty crap when it comes to cuisine. I can make broccoli, carrots, mashed potato, etc. but my cooking range is very very limited much to my chagrin.

I think I need to exercise a lot lot more. Another problem I have is I can be quite clumsy and lacking in attention to detail sometimes (though not all the time). I am amazed I manage to actually hold a job down. I think I probably used to depend on my parents a little too much and am now suffering for it.

Anyway, today I sewed on some buttons for the first time ever in my life. I've never done sewing before, needless to say it was a catastrophe! But eventually, I managed to get some of the buttons on, but it looks god-awful! haphazard doesn't even describe it!

And I am poor at ironing. I can do it but it looks amateurish to say the least.

I think I am going to have to go to domestic classes or something!

Also I am probably the only gay man in existence who leaves his place a total mess and has no domestic sense whatsoever. It's shameful. I will need a househusband to look after me I think!

So anyone else have this same problem?

Yes I think so, im improving

With regards to your problem, At least you are trying, obviously you are making an effort. It's just that our first few tries in doing a particular thing is not always perfect. It takes time to master it..

With cooking, you can just watch youtube videos and learn quick recipes.. and then you can also view youtube videos on how to iron clothes properly, how to sew and stuffs. Like you can watch it on your phone while doing it step by step..

Like for me, I am already training myself to do things on my own cause I feel like i will live on my own this year (fingers crossed). So yeah, I am learning to cook (did well on my first few tries), we have a househelper so I don't really wash my own clothes, but I wash my own undies, socks, hankies, etc.. I iron my clothes as well, and basically clean my own room. We are actually trained by my mum so I don't rely much on people..

It's just a matter of taking small steps I guess and you will get used and better at it..

Hi, I just split my answer into 2

Health

I am moderately healthy, but since meeting my boyfriend I kind of have had a ride to, well, everywhere. He's usually with me before work, we go to the same school...so it just happens that suddenly I walk a lo less. Previously I walked everywhere and met my excersize requirements and ate healthily.

Now I only do one of those things, haha.

So I've been walking more, with the dog especially, and watching the food.

Fashion or what not

I do my best. If I go anywhere I shower, wear nice clothes, watch, hair style, etc. Around the house on a 'lazy' day I'm an absolute slob in how I look though - I think that's pretty normal though.

I do know how to sew, but I'm very bad at it (it takes me longer than it should). I tend to con my mom into sewing things for me.

This reminds me I have to sew a button back onto my jacket lol... I'll go do that now before work actually..

Overall,

I think I have a good general skill set. I have most of the skills being in my generation comes with (computers). Also, I can in fact do traditionally 'womenly' things like cleaning/cooking/sewing/etc., but I can also do heavy lifting and helping to move, use various tools... I'm probably not as skilled as a house wife, or a man with a tool shop, but I was raised by a single father and a single mother at different times, and so I have both skill sets to a degree... although to be honest, it was my father who taught me to sew...

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I am almost the exact opposite, so much so that on numerous occasions I have been told I would make a perfect husband.

I can turn my hand at almost anything from cooking to decorating, basic electrical and plumbing work and furniture designing and making. I iron better than a lot of women, I know how to sew. But everyone has to have faults. I don't know how to fix a car and whenever I havea problem with a computer I have to call in my pet IT expert. I am not particularly tidy (my desk is a permanent shambles) but everything is clean. I also exercise regularly.

Don't be downhearted, domestic classes might be a good idea if they're available where you live.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I try take to take good care of myself and exercise pretty regularly ,drink little alcohol and have never done drugs or smoked.

Not a great cook but I get by and the Microwave and me are best mates Hehe

No, I don't really have your problem.

But it has nothing to do with being gay and certainly you are not the "only gay man in existance with no domestic sense", there is a bit of stereotyping going on with that phrase.

When it comes to the household I am self-sufficient because my mother raised me that way. She was on the lines of "no son of mine will depend on a woman and no daughter of mine will be dependant on a man"

As for health. I try to take care of myself. I don't do alcohol, drugs or cigarettes simply cause I don't like any of those things. I try to eat healthy.

The one thing I cannot bring myself to do is working out. The excuses are always the same, I work too much hours in the week and I'm too wrecked in the weekends to do anything.

I suppose if I were to actually go for it I would get accustomed to eventually.

There is a phase of learning you are experiencing right now, because you did not have to do anything like that before. You seem to be trying and that's important. Keep trying and you will very soon be proficient in all of those house chores.

Youtube is a hella good place to see videos about cooking.

I even used it once to remember how to make a proper Winsdor knot.

As I'm living alone, I never bother to cook. Can't remember the last time I did it. I just take something from the fridge and eat it, too lazy to stand in front of the stove for hours.

I do minimal exercise - running and swimming. It might seem nothing much, but if you have an active lifestyle, it's enough.

I'm doing everything that needs to be done to keep the place where I live nice - I wash floor, wipe dust, wash and iron my clothes, clean my shoes, etc. Life forces you to learn to do various things because in the end no one else will do it for you.

Tulloni Wrote:Just wondering if people here believe they do a good job of looking after themselves or not?

Also I am probably the only gay man in existence who leaves his place a total mess and has no domestic sense whatsoever.

You are not alone) I've never clean up after myself

thanks for the responses.

Southbiochem - yeah I know I am stereotyping a bit probably. I do that sometimes I admit. I am not very P.C if I am honest - that really is more of a rebellion against liberal democratic-capitalist society, which I don't feel a part of, than anything else. So yeah sometimes I'll come out with these statements... just to go against the flow more than anything else.

but there is some truth there. Fact is I know loads of gays who are far far better at looking after their houses than I am. I am trying to improve but I still have a long long way to go....

one of the buttons has already come undone for example. But I guess these hiccups are to be expected right?

i am getting better at keeping my place clean and tidy. I still get disappointed with myself for my lack of progress but I used to be worse so any improvement is welcome.

Youtube is useful for many things, not just for cooking lessons. This one might be of help:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams