Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you find the term Guncle offensive?
I've never even heard of it before. But I do watch one cartoon where there is a character called 'Grunckle Stan'. He's not gay, this thread just reminded me of him.

Lol! That reminds me of the word Carbuncles.

I'm gonna have to agree with MisterTinkles on this one.

I had never head of that word before...

being an etymologist and a student and teacher of languages, English is a constantly evolving piece of work that functions to enable people to communicate with each other. hopefully fostering real communication and not misunderstanding.

that was a new one on me though, lol. I think you may have just coined a phrase, we'll see if it picks up in the vernacular... Multijump

English is really sort of a bastard language cobbled together from a bunch of others...

Not offended, per se, but not keen on the idea of being referred to as something that sounds like it should be cleaned up with detergent...

Offensive and stupid.

Haha what? Who uses that word, I've never heard it Tongue

Solemnmind Wrote:Haha what? Who uses that word, I've never heard it Tongue

Never heard it either... but if my nephew ever call's me if, I will love it LOL

Thanks for your replies. I DO find the word Guncle offensive. And if my nieces and nephews called me Guncle I think my heart would break. I'm their Uncle, not their Guncle. I have a niece who's quadriplegic, would it be offensive to call her my quadriniece? I also have an uncle who's half black and white, would it be offensive if I called him Uncle Oreo? I'm sure there are some who wouldnt be offended by Guncle, may even find it cute. However I'm about my nieces and nephews respecting me, and calling me Guncle IMO is not respectful.

I find it funny as hell as a culture we need to Shorten EVERYTHING. lol

Mick