Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone do make-up as a career?
I just wanted to find out if anyone does make-up as a career and if so how did you get into? College / academy etc?

and any advice if at all possible on how to start!

Thanks

I don't but my Aunt does, and I can tell you that on this side of the pond you typically have to have a cosmetology license, which you get through a certification process requiring school and an exam.

Technically speaking, you DO NOT need to go to school to learn make-up.

I was told by my aunt that Cosmetology school mainly focuses on hair styling and skin care. They barely dabble in actual make-up application/techniques.

I will tell you though, if you want to improve your make-up skills, Youtube is your friend. (Am I allowed to suggest that...? o.o)

There are so many make-up tutorials, tips, instructors, etc who share a lot of information starting from basics, to advanced, to just plain out creative stuff.

That is where I learned most of my techniques and basics. I've been doing free lance make-up art for a year 1/2 now. I do it for fun, though. Not professionally.

Also, if you are even more serious about pursuing a make-up career, the MAC make-up stores USUALLY are ALWAYS hiring for freelance make up artists when they hold little events/kiosks, etc. They might even be the ones who will say: "Okay. This guy is good. We will recommend you." blah blah blah. So, that's a place to get started.

However, like most careers, you probably DO have to take some sort of qualifications test to get a licence to work publicly.

Though, I'm not sure how to do that...since I don't plan on using my make-up skills on the public. Tongue

But yeah, just do a little research. I'm telling you, you DO NOT need to go to school to learn make-up.

All it takes is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Trial and Error. Anything related to art is like this...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So what you may think is awesome, someone may think is complete shit. lol

TLDR:

-You do not need to go to cosmetology school to learn make-up. I didn't need to.
-Youtube is your best friend for learning.
-You can purchase make-up books from online or any book store/cosmetic store.
-Make up stores such as MAC usually are always hiring for free lance artists for events/kiosks.
-Practice makes perfect. Trial and Error.
-Have fun with it !!

Hope this helps!

-Logann

My ex worked for MAC and had like a year of art at college. They trained him for everything but he was one of the best artists I have ever seen/known. He always got compliments from his professional trainers.