Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else hate texting?
So I'm not a huge texter like a lot of people my age, occasionally send message, Joke or invitation to hang out to a friend and have a short conversation and what not; but not like a lot of people my age who are glued to there phone.

Anyway it seems like when ever I start talking to a guy either in real life or online somewhere and we exchange numbers, it seems like all these guys want to do is blow up my phone. I don't always have my phone in hands reach (especially at work, with my job I can't take the time to stop and check my phone) and there are times when when talking to these guys I will get multiple messages from said guy in a period of a couple hours

For example one guy is moving to my area in a few weeks from the east coast. We chatted online and exchanged numbers texted a bit asked usual questions and told him bit about the area and what not. Anyway now I get texts from him almost every day now everyday and the conversation goes like this:

Him: hey
Me: hey what's going on
Him: Chillin
Me: oh nice I'm _____.
Him: cool

I really don't get what I'm supposed to say after that.

And the other day I had gone into the city with my friend and left my phone at home, we ran some errands were gone all day and when we got back home we left immediately to go watch another friend perform some music so I didn't have my on me for about 10 hours and had 5 texts from him

Hi

What's going on?

How was your day?

Hi

Hope your not mad at me

This isn't the first time something like this has happened where a guy I hardly know or never met face to face gets clingy via text for some unknown reason.

I'm pretty sure texting is ruining dating for me. What ever happened the "three day rule" where you wait a bit before contacting someone after a date?

Yes and no.

I like texting in the sense that it has a very useful purpose. I text people when I want to relay a message to someone without making a big conversation out of it.

I hate texting when it gets in the way of other important aspects of life though. The obvious reason is texting and driving. Don't. Do. It.

I also hate texting for more personal reasons. People become glued to their phones and it gets annoying. I had a boyfriend last year who would always be on his phone when we were out on a date anywhere. It was almost like it was assumed that I'd just start doing the same thing. Instead, I sat there awkwardly in silence and waited until I had his attention again. This shit is why I am single yet again.

And like you, I think texting is for quick relaying of information. If you want a full conversation, find an opportune time to actually talk (either with a phone call or in person).

To sum up my point: Use texting as a tool. Don't let it turn you into a tool.

There is no obligation to be physically wired to the telephone grid... really there isn't. We older generations managed perfectly without... and I guess we also get it when people don't answer a text message within seconds of receiving one. The only thing that these modern phones has done is make the younger generations completely impatient with most things... Not a good thing, really.

Maybe you should warn your texting friends that you are not a texter, first thing, then they can't really expect you to text them every bleeding minute of a 24-hour day.

That said, I don't know how you can manage modern day relationships without those tools. I know mine has been saved by the ability to text occasionally, to phone occasionally, to chat occasionally and then to meet in real life. I think a combination of all those does make a relationship live on, but living the real life is the way to go.

I used to talk on the phone for hours years ago, but as the technology
developed and texting became more of the norm my phone marathons
slowly dwindled.

Plus, most of my friends get awkward talking over the phone, so they'd
rather text me instead, so I respect that and I don't really mind. I only really
have a handful of people I text frequently so it's not really a nuisance.

I remember the days of three way calling though, haha. Specially when
your friend calls your crush for you while you're sitting silently on the other
line listening in as your best friend gives your crush the third degree.. hehe Wink

VileKyle Wrote:Yes and no.

To sum up my point: Use texting as a tool. Don't let it turn you into a tool.

That's a perfect way to sum it up.

I always find it super crazy watching those couples in restaurants sitting across from each other on there phones. I wait tables for 6 years and I've seen people who say less than two sentences to each other the whole time they are there.

It is odd, Weyr, how estranged human beings have become of other human beings.... I see this everyday in the corridors at school. They're all standing or sitting there, or even trying to move on texting and reading a screen, but somehow they still find ways of interacting more normally... Strange nonetheless.

I hate texting too, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than me using my talk minutes.

Other people hate it, but I insist that they text me, unless its an emergency. If I had the money for a decent plan, I would actually talk instead of text, but as it is...my phone plan charges for talk minutes but I have all the free text I can handle.

Sometimes. I use it to most frequently for quick things "Meet me here", "Done my test", are examples of texts I send. I do use Facebook messenger frequently to talk to my friends when bored and having nothing else to do (example: Breaks at work), but I would dislike talking to people that robotically talk like your example.

Not a big texter here, it gets annoying after a while.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

texting as a tool; not a primary way of communication